Search For Jobs Offers in Kenya
Digital Hub & Scholarship Manager
LEAP Project – Refugee Contexts in Northern Kenya
World University Service of Canada (WUSC) is a Canadian non-profit organization with a mission to enhance education, economic opportunities, and empowerment for youth. We work with a diverse network of students, volunteers, institutions, governments, and businesses. Together, we foster youth-centered solutions to overcome inequality and exclusion.
WUSC has been awarded a grant of $12.4 million from Global Affairs Canada to implement the “Learning through Education and Access to Skills for Employment” Project (the LEAP Project). The ultimate outcome of the project is to increase the empowerment of adolescent girls and young women in Kalobeyei Settlement, Kakuma Refugee Camp, and the surrounding host communities in Turkana County. The project will enhance education opportunities for adolescent girls and provide access to gender responsive skills training and address young women’s livelihood needs through market-based skills and digitals skills training in order to participate in the online gig economy.
3. Purpose and objective
The digital skills and online jobs training is an integral component in the LEAP program; with the objective of supporting at least 475 young women in Kalobeyei, Kakuma, and surrounding host communities to obtain digital skills training and subsequently obtain online freelance work. WUSC is setting up a digital hub in Kakuma refugee camp and is seeking to hire a Hub Manager to provide leadership and management of the digital space, training deliverables and access to digital online work. He/She will collaborate with WUSC’s digital implementing partner and oversee day-day operation of the hub, coordination with trainees, refugee and host communities as well as coordinate the scholarship component of LEAP project.
4. Job description
The digital hub manager will provide leadership, coordination and day-day operations oversight to the hub in Kakuma. His/Her roles will include:
Duties related to the management of the digital hub (60%)
● Provide overall technical guidance in setting up of a digital hub facility in Kakuma. This will entail procurement, training space layout, network cabling and asset management.
● Participate in the implementation, management and expansion of the digital work
● Oversee delivery of digital skills training and online work by the contracted partner organization & lead on coordination with these partners
● Oversee day-day operations of the digital hub
● Provide ongoing support to trainees at the digital hub who are learning digital skills and bidding for online freelance work.
● Manage suppliers and third party contractors and consultants
● Maintain an updated database of trainee alumni
● Provide recommendations on the digital skills content, delivery of trainings and online work, working closely with subcontracted partner organizations responsible for training delivery
● Supervise one staff member, the Hub Assistant, responsible for ICT support
Duties related to scholarship management (30%):
● Speared post-secondary school scholarship component
● Conduct outreach to TVET Kenya
● Lead the selection process for participants, including reviewing applications, arranging to receive the required application documentation, and conducting finalist interviews
● Coordinate payments to participants
● Draft budget and program narrative reporting documents
● Develop and deliver soft-skills workshops, and information and advocacy workshops for TVET
● Provide student advising sessions
● Work with an M&E consultant to develop M&E plan
Other duties as assigned (10%):
● Provide technical leadership in building a strong knowledge sharing network around digital online work and outsourcing in the context of refugee opportunities
● Provide leadership in building and maintaining strategic partnerships and networks that will enhance women economic opportunities
● Conduct and/or support various labor market, technical and digital skills assessment activities for Kalobeyei/Kakuma, with a focus on enhancing livelihood opportunities for young women
● Support research activities on gender responsive economic opportunities for both host and refugees
● Collaborate with other WUSC related projects in Kakuma and Kalobeyei
● Document learnings, case studies and provide reports
● Attend and participate in events as a representative of WUSC
5. Qualifications and experiences
● Degree in Information, Communication and Technology(ICT), Technical innovation, OR diploma in ICT. Management Information System. Digital marketing, Business in Communication, information and technology.
● A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a digital hub/ incubation, online work, business outsourcing, digital innovations, ICT or vocational skills training institution, or skills development in the digital era
● Experience in bidding for online work
● Proven experience in project management, research, partnerships and stakeholder management
● Experience in Quality Assurance
● Experience in scholarship program management
● Working in a refugee camp setup will be an added advantage
● Innovation driven
● Capacity to work in a team context with minimal supervision
● People management
● Problem solving
● Relationship management
● Communication – Fluency in English and Kiswahili (verbal and written)
The hub manager will report to the program manager and work closely with the LEAP team at WUSC Kenya.**
WUSC’s activities seek to balance inequities and create sustainable development around the globe; the work ethic of our staff, volunteers, representatives, consultants and partners shall correspond to the values and mission of the organization. WUSC promotes responsibility, respect, honesty, and professional excellence and we will not tolerate harassment, coercion, sexual exploitation or abuse of any form. Any COVID-19 safety measures in force must be strictly adhered to.
Enter your email address below to subscribe to our newsletter