Search For Jobs Offers in Kenya
Summary of the Position
The Senior Program Manager, East and Southern Africa will provide direct support to the Promoting the Quality of Medicines Plus (PQM+) program, a cooperative agreement between USP and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), in East and Southern African countries (including Kenya, Rwanda, Mozambique, Madagascar and regional initiatives) to promote access to and supply of quality-assured pharmaceutical products and achieve the PQM+ goal towards sustainably strengthening medical product quality assurance systems. The Senior Program Manager, Africa is responsible for providing strategic management and technical leadership in PQM+ assigned countries to achieve program and country goals and ensure that activities are based and informed by country needs and priorities. The Senior Program Manager supervisors a team that may include program managers and program coordinators or associates, as well as short- and long-term consultants in the countries in his/her portfolios. The Senior Program Manager may be physically located in the Kenya field office and will provide management oversight to assigned countries in East and Southern Africa.
Roles and Responsibilities
· Provides management and technical leadership to African countries through the support of the Direction, East and Southern Africa, the Deputy Program Director and the technical team under the Technical Director; ensures strategic, programmatic and contractual integrity of PQM+ projects in assigned countries.
· Supervises program managers and coordinators/associates that support countries in the region, as well as consultants
· Develops work plans, assigns budget in the work plans, and oversees the implementation of programmatic activities at country levels in order to meet PQM+ programmatic objectives for the region.
· Tracks spending and monitors pipeline, ensuring that expenses are charged appropriately.
· Collaborates with the in-county teams and HQ staff to ensure the documentation of the program activities, highlighting technical and programmatic innovations, strengths, results and impact at local and international forums, technical briefs, in peer review journals etc.
· Leads and participates in assessment teams to evaluate and provide recommendations on medicines quality assurance and quality control capabilities in countries as requested.
· Develops strong relationship with USAID missions in the assigned countries and with other partners in the region.
· Works closely with technical team, country program team, and to identify opportunities for innovation, harmonize approaches, and maintain high quality standards in activity implementation.
· S/he will also collaborate with other international and local partners that work in countries to jointly achieve the public health program goals. Designs programs and create business opportunities for program growth and sustainability.
· Represents USP at local and international conferences and meetings and provide technical guidance to donor and partners as required.
· Articulates PQM+’s objectives and mission to various stakeholders to promote the mission of the PQM+ program.
· Provides critical input into the monitoring and evaluations of assigned programs and requires strong communication and coordination with field staff, support departments within PQM+ and USP HQ.
· Proactively develops trusted relationships with USAID missions in assigned countries, including through regular visits and ongoing communication
· Coordinates with partners implementing PQM+ activities in the assigned countries.
· Provides leadership to ensure that PQM+ work plan implementation and operational activities are following USP and USAID policies, procedures and practices; recommends improvements to processes and controls to improve compliance and mitigate risks
· Proactively raises any risks to USP PQM+ leadership team, helping to identify resolution, and developing strategies to mitigate future issues.