Administrative Officer Job, Kenyan NGO Vacancies,
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
UNEP’s Corporate Services Division (CSD) is the guardian of UNEP’s corporate interest, mitigating its exposure to risk and supporting the organization with management tools, plans and related capacity building. It oversees UNEP’s efficient and effective management, in line with UNEP’s accountability requirements, rules, regulations and UN core values.
This post is located in UNEP’s Programme Advisory Services Unit (PASU), Corporate Services Division ,at the Nairobi duty station. The PASU provides seamless integration in operational areas which support and enhance programme delivery on behalf of Corporate Services Division (CSD). Under the supervision of the Head of PASU, Corporate Services Division, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
1. Human Resource Management
• Initiates and coordinates actions covering the entire span of human resource activities, e.g., recruitment, placement, promotion, performance appraisal, vacancies, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training, ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
• Provides expert advice with respect to conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
• Represents the Department/Unit at Departmental Panels and appointment bodies.
• Reviews post incumbency reports for purposes of vacancy management and staffing table control.
• Leads, oversees and coordinates the preparation and implementation of the work program and budget to ensure compatibility with work priorities and objectives, taking into account the most effective use of resources.
2. Budget and Finance
• Initiates and conducts studies to improve budget reporting systems and cost-effective utilization of program resources.
• Monitors and controls budgetary allocations through regular reviews; drafts routine and ad hoc outputs; and provides effective monitoring reports and data. Identifies deviations from plans and proposes corrective measures.
• Establishes and maintains a set of sound policies, procedures, standards and tools which are consistent with UN policy and practice in order to ensure proper accounting, financial management and control.
3. General Administration
• Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
• Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies, Coordinates and supports the development of policies, tools and guidance documents on UNEP’s partnerships, including partnership assessment and monitoring;
• Reviews assigned programmes/projects to provide feedback on operational modalities including procurement planning; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions.
• Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations.
• Implements and monitors support services, including procurement of supplies and services; transport, travel and traffic, communications, engineering and information technology support; and provision of local utilities and service requirements.
• Supervises a staff team and/or provide advice to others on human resource administration, financial administration and management information issues and practices to colleagues.
• Produces major/complex reports for management.
• Provides expert guidance and leadership to more junior staff.
• Performs other related duties as required, e.g., reviews of Secretariat offices and departments at headquarters /missions, operational travel programme, adequacy of departmental space requirements, and technology requirements.
• Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
• Performs other related work as required.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of administrative, budgetary, financial and human resources policies and procedures. Knowledge of organizational policy formulation, efficient processes and procedures generally and those related to programme/project administration, implementation and evaluation, programming and budgeting. Ability to apply various United Nations administrative rules and regulations in work situations. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis. Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations. The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
ACCOUNTABILITY: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business or public administration, finance, accounting, law or related area is required.
A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in administration, finance, accounting, human resources management or related field is required.
Experience in policy formulation and implementation is desirable.
Work experience within the United Nations context or similar organization is desirable.
Two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
NOTE: ”Fluency” equals a rating of ”fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ”Knowledge of” equals a rating of ”confident” in two of the four areas.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview
Job openings advertised on the Careers Portal will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
Application closes on 24 November 2022.
How to Apply