Senior Technical Adviser Jobs at UN
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the United Nations programme for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. UN-Habitat has strengthened its areas of work around three main areas: urban planning, urban economy and urban legislation. Its activities contribute to the overall objective of the United Nations system to reduce poverty and promote sustainable development within the context and the challenges of a rapidly urbanizing world.
Senior Technical Adviser Job Responsibilities
- Provide advice, undertake project design, formulate regional and global programmes and undertake resource mobilization on National Urban Policy and National Spatial Plans to support member states to effectively address urbanization by:
- Providing technical advice on National Urban Policies and National Spatial Plans by undertaking policy analysis, developing tools and guides, responding to country demand for advisory services and developing project proposals.
- Advising on the development and implementation of National Urban Policies and National Spatial Plans by preparing concept notes, presentations and speeches, and advising on internal capacity development in coordination with other UN-Habitat thematic branches and offices.
- Supporting resource mobilization at national, regional and global level linked to National Urban Policies and National Spatial Plans, by developing project concept notes and proposals, liaising with research and development institutions, drafting project documents and agreements, and developing specific fundraising activities for selected projects.
- Guiding the implementation of the National Urban Policy Programme (NUPP) by, inter alia, creating and sharing knowledge on National Urban Policy, implementing capacity development programmes on National Urban Policy in selected countries, and developing international advocacy strategy to promote and implement the NUPP.
- Performing any other relevant duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications for the Senior Technical Adviser Job
- Demonstrate understanding of global issues relevant for the post, including urbanization dynamics, spatial planning and urban development. Demonstrate ability to link local, national, regional and global issues in the field of urban development.
- Understand the mandate of UN-Habitat is this field and the linkages between spatial planning, urban economy and urban legislation. Ability to work under extreme pressure; shows pride in work and in achievements; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Works collaboratively with global counterparts, and colleagues from the Headquarters, and Regional National Offices. Seeks inputs from team members and encourages a spirit of joint ownership of the Work Plan accomplishments. Can work with professionals from various educational and cultural backgrounds, understands gender issues related to the post and adopts gender sensitive approach at work.
- Develops clear work plans and timelines for activities, is able to manage time adequately and work under pressure to achieve concrete results. Is able to identify priorities and assignments and adjust them as required. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning.
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients and partners by gaining and maintaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solution and monitors client’s environment to anticipate problems and needs.
- Has capacity to convey messages clearly to a variety of audiences and to adapt communication style accordingly. Is aware of communication imperatives related to teamwork and sensitive to others’ needs in term of information.
- Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands.
- Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in urban/regional planning, public administration, urban policy or any other subject that is relevant for sustainable urban development. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 10 years progressively relevant experience in the field of urban/regional planning, urban policy, urban infrastructure, urban transport, urban basic services or any other field that is relevant to sustainable urban development. Experience of at least 5 years within a Ministry responsible for Human Settlements and Urban Development is an important asset.
- Previous UN experience is an advantage. Exposure to work in developing countries is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position fluency in written and oral English is required. Working knowledge of another United Nations official language will be an asset.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates to Apply here
N.B: Looking For A New Job? Find Your Next Job With Us. Click Here To Register Your CV. It’s Free.