Senior Accountant Job, Latest Accounting Vacancies In Kenya,
About the role
The Senior Accountant manages and implements all aspects of the accounting activities of TICAH. You will ensure that accounting systems are maintained to provide the information required for planning, monitoring and reporting of TICAH’s programs and to meet all our statutory and donor responsibilities. The Senior Accountant prepares financial statements and audit schedules to ensure accountability and transparency of TICAH and processes payments as per organizational policies and procedures.
The role reports to the Head of Finance and Operations, and works in collaboration with the sub-granting coordinator.
Lead and deliver the accounting function at TICAH (70%)
- Keep abreast with the latest trends in accounting. Make suggestions for improvement of our accounting and financial policies and procedures.
- Review all financial commitments and payments requests to ensure compliance with TICAH Policies and procedures.
- Process all financial transactions in QuickBooks to enable accurate financial reporting and monitoring.
- Prepare bank reconciliations and resolve accounting discrepancies.
- Prepare reconciliation of all balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis to ensure exceptions are identified and dealt promptly.
- Maintain and manage archiving of financial documents to safeguard financial records and audit trails (cash receipts, vendor invoices, bank statements and other records).
- Prepare the balance sheet, profit and loss statement (income statements) and cash flow statements.
- Regularly compile and report on other incomes (e.g. sales of our publications, individual donations, etc).
- Review and scrutinize the expenses while conducting a cost/benefit analysis to find ways to minimize costs and maximize value.
- Prepare and process monthly payroll and all the related statutory returns.
- Manage Petty cash.
- Maintain Fixed Assets Register and manage insurance for fixed assets.
- Review staff imprest reports
- Prepare payments for approval with accompanying documents as required.
- Ensure TICAH is compliant with statutory bodies i.e. KRA, NSSF, NHIF and act as liaison.
- Preparation of books of accounts for audit and coordination with internal and external auditors.
- Oversee temporary support staff, e.g. interns
Support program financial management and donor compliance (30%)
- Review program budgets for compliance with donor regulations
- Support in the development of program budgets as needed (e.g. capacity building on templates)
- Monitor and track obligations and expenditures against program budgets and prepare monthly grant dashboards for the program teams
- Prepare financial donor reports
- Support in the preparation of TICAH’s organizational budget
- You share our passion for holistic health and fundamental human rights and are excited about our 4 program areas. You believe in the individual’s right to choose and self-determine when it comes to their sexual and reproductive health.
- You are excited to lead an entire accounting function. As a self-driven leader you are ready to take charge of the department and learn what needs learning.
- Deep and wide experience in NGO accounting:
- At least 5 years of progressive accounting experience, of which at least 2 years in a role working across all accounting functions (budgeting, reporting, cash flow forecasting, payroll, payables and receivables management, etc)
- You have done monthly tracking for multiple grants, pulling data from the accounting system into different templates as required
- Have been involved in program budget creation with program teams.
- Previous experience in a multi-donor multi-program environment: You have a strong understanding of donor budgeting and reporting templates and requirements for a variety of donors: from unrestricted to more structured
- Excited to work with program teams. You know how to engage non-finance staff to ensure financial policies are followed in a friendly and patient way
- Strongly preferred if you have worked in a mid-sized and fast-growing NGO with a budget size of around 1-5m USD
- Well versed with using and administering accounting software, e.g. Quickbooks
- Knowledge on payroll preparation & statutory, experience with Aren or another payroll software
- Previous experience in leading preparation for external audits
- You have CPA-K, are an ICPAK member, and hold a relevant bachelor’s degree.
- Analytical and impeccable attention to detail
- Ability to organize and manage your workload when multiple deadlines are approaching and keep several parallel work streams moving at the same time.
You have the cultural fit to work with the team at TICAH if
- You are genuinely interested and comfortable conversing on diverse ideas and opinions. You continuously challenge your own assumptions and beliefs
- You love or are interested in exploring the African indigenous culture
- You don’t judge people for their life choices but genuinely want to support them!
- You think out of the box, and work hard to see your crazy ideas come to life
- You are humble and comfortable in varying social and professional settings, alternating between interacting with grassroots community members, and high-level stakeholders
- You walk your talk, your words and actions mirror your personal and professional beliefs. You are self-driven and genuinely are excited to be contributing to positive change in the world
- You genuinely listen to understand and believe that those closest to the problem are best placed to find solutions to the problem.
Why work with us
- You will be part of growing our impact with a vast exciting network and pool of partnerships that we have built over the past 19 years
- Exposure to participate and contribute across all our programs
- An opportunity to dream of all possible solutions and make them come true
- We are a committed team and we treat each other like family
- Our team works hard and also realizes the importance of having fun in and out of work
- We walk our talk. We are brave and bold in everything we do
- We are an egalitarian organization – if equality and fair access to opportunity excite you, join us!
Start date as soon as possible. Applications will be screened on a rolling basis. The role will be based in our Karen office. We are looking for candidates who are excited to make a long-term commitment.
There will be a six-month probationary period and we will agree on performance and learning objectives.
How to Apply
- Read this guide with tips on our selection process: http://bit.ly/CandidatesGuide
- If you are interested in the role and have questions, do not hesitate to reach out to [email protected]
- Apply by filling out the application survey under this link: https://bit.ly/TICAH-JoinSA
- You will be asked to upload your CV as part of the application form. Make sure it is tailored towards the role, no longer than 3 pages, and in PDF format.
- The recruitment is carried out in collaboration with edge. All communication regarding this role will come only from email addresses in the domains @edgeperformance.co.ke and @ticahealth.org
N.B: Looking For A New Job? Find Your Next Job With Us. Click Here To Register Your CV. It’s Free.