Solidaridad is a global civil society organization that provides market driven solutions for sustainable production practices across different supply chains. We envision a world in which all we produce, and all we consume, can sustain us while respecting the planet, each other and the next generations. Our mission is to bring together supply chain players and engage them with innovative solutions to improve production, ensuring the transition to a sustainable and inclusive economy that maximizes the benefit for all stakeholders.
Title: Climate Change and NRM Manager
Duration: 1-year contract (extension based on performance) **
Reporting line: Managing Director**
Position level: Mid-level
Location: Nairobi, Kenya **
The Climate Change and NRM Manager is responsible for designing, integrating and replicating technical expertise in climate change and NRM across the organisation’s projects and programmes to ensure commodities production is responsive to climate change and environmental challenges.
Position in the organization
The Climate Change and NRM Manager will report directly to the Managing Director and work closely with the Regional Head of Programmes, Country Managers, regional and local quality area teams and regional programmatic team at a regional and country level.
- Strategic direction: Will need to provide the organisation with strategic direction on the integration of climate change, NRM, and environment principles in sustainable supply chains and further support translation of the organisational strategy into country plans and project level strategies/plans.
- Advisory and capacity building support to programmatic teams: Will need to guide country project teams in developing practices, business cases and providing general advice on climate change and natural resources management work at project and country programme level.
- Development and/or participation in transfer of knowledge and acting as a champion: Will build a community of practice based on the major climate and sustainable landscapes themes under “*in balance with nature*” in line with the global and regional Multi-Annual Strategic Plan (5-year plan). The community of practice will act as champions of climate change and environment work in projects and at the country level.
- Networking: Liaise with the Solidaridad global network community of practice on climate change and natural resources to assess and disseminate lessons learned that would be ultimately translated across the organization, to facilitate organisational level learning and strategy.
- Lobbying and advocacy: Provide technical advice in support of coordination efforts among implementing partners and other key stakeholders, particularly in informing sustainable natural resources management policy dialogue.
- Evidence building: Support research and surveys aimed at developing baselines and monitoring/measuring climate and NRM performance. This would be done through ecosystem analysis studies, climate vulnerability assessments, and greenhouse gas (GHG) measurements.
- Thought leadership: Will need to leverage the best knowledge and ideas in providing guidance internally and externally on aspects of environmental sustainability across commodities.
- Partnerships: Externally will need to foster relationships with key players in government, CSOs and private sector actors. With an aim of developing collaborative fund raising efforts, while building an external community of change that supports environmental sustainability across commodities.
- Business development: Will need to work with a business development team to design opportunities and partnerships required in fundraising for funding (including but not limited to climate finance). Support the development of reactive and proactive propositions (concepts) to facilitate partnership development and fundraising.
Knowledge and experience
- Master’s degree or higher in climate change, NRM, environmental science, land use planning, environmental governance, sustainable management, sustainable agriculture or other relevant subject area, and at least 6 years of relevant experience.
- Experience working on environment, natural resources and climate change and agriculture programmes in the development sector or private sector.
- Have significant knowledge on trending approaches such as climate smart agriculture, agro-ecology, environmental compliance, waste management (circularity), sustainable land management, environmental sustainability, and/or land use planning.
- Should have experience on building teams and external partnerships.
- Experience working on mobilising climate and environmental finance.
- Knowledge on monitoring and evaluation (M&E) and/or measurements on climate performance – including but not limited to, climate vulnerability assessments, GHG assessments, and carbon measurements across agriculture land use systems.
- Experience in undertaking research or assessments on climate change/environment.
- Knowledge on environmental compliance will be an added advantage.
● Ability to combine thematic knowledge and strategic/analytical thinking.
● Possess a passion for evidence and research as a basis for advisory and capacity building.
● Ability to create constructive relationships internally and externally.
● Be able to communicate passionately and show unwavering support towards bringing environmental sustainability in the commodity sector.
● Passionately engage with the government and business sector with an aim of creating long-term partnerships.
● Showcase high level credibility internally and externally.
● Be able to tap in existing talent and expertise in accomplishing key assignments.
● Have a sharp eye on innovation, be able to identify and integrate innovative opportunities in organisational activities.