Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
The UN-Habitat Social Media and Communications internship is for 6 months.
The Internship is UNPAID and full-time.
Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual’s background; the intern’s assigned office as well as the internship period.
Under the direct supervision of the Special Assistant to the Executive Director, the intern will:
- Support the Executive Director in promoting her social media presence: Twitter, Facebook and Instagram and any other platform as directed by the Office of the Executive Director.
- Monitor the social media profile of the Executive Director and propose responses as appropriate, in close cooperation with Advocacy, Outreach and Communications Branch (External Relations Division) to ensure that the social media profile of the Executive Director is in support of the overall UN-Habitat communication strategy.
- Ensure follow up as appropriate on social media platforms on activities of the Executive Director.
- Propose and follow up with ERD on amplifying the Executive Director’s activities through various communication platforms, including exploring the feasibility of an Executive Director’s Blog.
- Undertake a desk review of the scope and potential for social media and public communication needs for the Executive Director in coordination with staff from the ERD.
- Support development of UN International Day statements for the Executive Director and follow-up to ensure that they have been uploaded onto the UN-Habitat website and shared through the Executive Director’s social media platforms.
- Assist in information management through e-filing, updating various databases and other relevant tasks.
- Liaise with a UN-Habitat colleagues in-house on social media requests and needs, propose social media campaigns that showcase the work of UN-Habitat.
- Draft a variety of communication documents on behalf of the Office of the Executive Director, including e-mails, letters, messaging and outreach material.
- Perform any other tasks as assigned from time to time.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher).
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent).
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation.
- Be computer literate in standard software applications.
- Have demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter;
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which include willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Preferred areas of studies
- Communication, Development Studies, International Relations, Political Sciences or Urban Planning.
- knowledge of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc.) will be an added advantage.
- Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the programme.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this internship, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN Language is desirable.
Potential candidates will be contacted by hiring manager directly for further consideration.
How To Apply
Click Here To Apply
Your application for this internship must include:
- A Completed application (Personal History Profile) and Cover Note, through the UN careers Portal. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.The Cover Note must include:
– Title of the degree you are currently pursuing
– Graduation Date
– IT skills and programmes you are proficient in
– Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship
- Explain your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme, ensure to include all past work experience (if any).
- Proof of enrollment from current University (if not graduated).
- A copy of degree certificate (if you have already graduated).
Due to a high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
N.B: Looking For A New Job? Find Your Next Job With Us. Click Here To Register Your CV. It’s Free.