Komaza is revolutionizing African forestry by unlocking the potential for small-scale farmers to serve booming wood markets. By combining high-scale operations with digital intelligence, we are currently planting commercial-grade forests at a rate of over 1 million trees with 5,000+ new farmers per year, making us Kenya’s largest industrial tree planter. We hold the only sustainable blueprint for meeting Africa’s $30B wood supply crisis – by leveraging farmers’ contribution of land and labor, Komaza can access nearly limitless land and establish a hectare of trees for far less than big plantations.
We have been recognized with numerous awards and investments, including The Climate Policy Initiative, The Nature Conservancy, Forbes, and Novastar Ventures.
About the Team
After more than a decade of laying the business’ foundations with Komaza’s Coastal operations, Komaza has recently expanded its small-scale forestry model to Central Kenya. Central Kenya represents a new type of operating model for Komaza, where unlike Coastal Kenya, small scale forestry has existed for decades and farms and farmers are very different. The Central Kenya team is leading the way in developing this complementary small scale forestry business model, which will be the foundation for all future Komaza expansions to similar regions.
The Central Kenya team is concurrently defining the long term business model and strategy for Central Kenya whilst also running several pilots across the forestry value chain to accelerate learnings and enable fast and profitable growth. The longer term ambition is to build a multi-million dollar turnover business unit and set the foundation for Komaza to scale to the rest of Kenya and then Africa.
About the Role
The Senior Harvest Manager (SHM) is a mid-level management role who is the primary support to the Operations Coordinator and Harvest Manager. The SHM will be responsible for planning, training and collaborating with other departments and internal stakeholders to ensure a seamless flow of harvest activities for all harvest teams reporting to them. The SHM is also critical in the management of resources deployed for harvest activities and will be responsible for ensuring sufficient support and accountability of harvest teams.
This role will be based in Naivasha, Kenya.
Team Management & Leadership
- Manage productivity and quality of outcomes by monitoring performance with frequent follow-up and using measurable criteria. Provide regular advice & coaching to improve performance.
- Train, coach and mentor direct reports to develop their skills, knowledge and capacity to succeed in their current roles and allow for growth in their Komaza careers.
- Build a positive, motivated team culture, supporting key values of honesty, hard work, and quality aligned with company values.
- Oversee data collection via appropriate data collection tools. Ensure data integrity. Analyze data to make critical decisions.
- Lead team problem solving to quickly resolve challenges. Coordinate case management with the team, ensuring everything is well documented and/or shared with the relevant departments for their input, implementation & feedback.
- Lead performance management and other Talent related activities, support the professional development of managers and their teams
- Act as the focal point between the Operations Coordinator and the Field Managers.
- Lead in collaboration projects with other departments.
- Prepare harvest plans for the teams and communicate the plans to teams members in appropriate time
- Ensure a steady harvest pipeline is sustained throughout the year
- Effectively plan with Harvest Managers to ensure teams achieve planned outputs.
- Supervise and ensure safety compliance within teams during harvest OPs.
- Ensure standards of excellence are maintained throughout felling, extraction and loading of trees
- Ensure all PPEs are in place and used correctly by all Komaza teams and casual workers at all times
- Train and retrain teams on safety measures
- Deal with non compliance of safety SOPs and reward/recognize adherence to the same
- Support the team with immediate action in case of a safety incident occurring.
- The SHM shall work closely with the Business Operations Officer and external service providers to manage transport, he/she shall share Harvest Operations plans with the Business Operations team and other relevant departments such as Finance to allow for smooth operations and effective interdepartmental collaboration.
- The SHM shall work hand in hand with service providers to ensure they meet SLAs as agreed with Komaza and to organize contingency where needs arise.
- Train the team on data collection, quality control and reporting procedures
- Ensure that the team is equipped with the right tools and skills for accurate data reporting
- Collaborate with the design team to use data to inform operational and strategic decisions
- Conduct data audits to ensure that high standards of data accuracy are maintained.
What’s in it for you?
Great vision without great people is irrelevant, Jim Collins wisely stated. If you share Komaza’s vision and want to help make it a reality, apply today! We offer a competitive remuneration package and an opportunity to further your career.
Komaza is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
How to Apply