Mechanical Engineer Job, Kenyan Engineering Vacancies,
Sanergy is an award-winning social venture based in Nairobi, Kenya. We undertake three exciting lines of work:
- We provide safe, sustainable sanitation services to residents living in urban informal settlements of Nairobi and Kisumu using end-to-end non-sewered sanitation solutions. Watch here!
- We implement a circular economy model to sustainably manage sanitation and organic waste generated in cities. Using technologies developed in-house, we upcycle the waste into insect-based protein for animal feed, organic fertilizer, and biomass fuel. We operate the largest organics recycling plant in East Africa. Watch here!
- We partner with cities to develop and deliver safe sanitation and waste management for urban residents. Using a systematic methodology, we match cities’ sanitation and waste management needs with technology and service delivery models, and then offer clear guidance on the steps that governments, funders, service providers and technology developers can take to develop and implement integrated service delivery systems.
Operational since 2011, Sanergy serves over 140,000 urban residents with safe sanitation services every day. Sanergy collects and treats over 12,000T of waste per year, and successfully sells its agricultural end-products to farmers in over 20 counties in Kenya, who see improved yields and increased incomes. At the same time, we have built a team of over 400 employees from diverse backgrounds who solve diverse problems, but all embody the drive, creativity, teamwork, and passion that make us achieve our goals. For our work, we have been recognized by the Gates Foundation as one of the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals accelerator; by Fast Company as one of the 10 most innovative companies in the world doing social good and one of the 10 best companies in Africa, and the Food Planet Prize for our innovative circular economy approach.
About the role
We are currently seeking an experienced Mechanical Engineer who will work on Sanergy’s existing breeding facility to implement key retrofits and design changes to the current operating facility. The position is based in Kilifi with considerable movement to Kinanie, Machakos constituency.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead a team of engineers to design, select and procure mechanical equipment packages to be used in organic waste bioconversion facilities
- Analyze existing operations and propose new retrofits to increase efficiency and reduce the overall operational costs
- Perform design calculations for various engineering problems
- Review vendor drawings and provide technical feedback to ensure specifications are met
- Review controls and/or electrical plans for various equipment
- Review/Develop mechanical engineering deliverables (Specification sheets, GA drawings)
- Provide engineering input to civil and architectural drawings
- Shortlist potential vendors and request designs for quotation
- Lead meetings with vendors and engineering consultants
- Along with the vendor, perform factory acceptance testing, test and balance activities, and functional performance tests
- Responsible for the technical quality and accuracy of work developed by the mechanical engineering team
- Prepare operating guidelines commissioning test forms, equipment checklists and commissioning reports and maintain commissioning issues lists
- Develop clear and transparent communication channels with other staff including Engineers, Project Manager, and Administration Staff.
- Lead and manage the installation and commissioning of various industrial equipment
- Troubleshoot system operational issues that impact system operation, safety, and reliability
- Provide hands-on field expert level support for construction
- Perform field inspections to ensure construction meets the design specifications
- Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering or relevant field
- 5+ years of experience in engineering and design of processing units, equipment, waste treatment facility
- Demonstrated working knowledge of how multi-disciplinary engineering team functions
- Demonstrated working knowledge or interest in the operation of Boilers, Chillers, water treatment, Pumps, waste treatment and Control Systems is preferred.
- Experience in operating factories in the waste sector is preferred
- Experience in commissioning various mechanical and electrical systems
- Effective interpersonal skills to properly represent Sanergy in an ethical and professional manner.
- Ability to explain technical information to technical and non-technical people.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a team, set priorities, handle budgets and provide constructive feedback to junior members
30th September 2021
How To Apply
Click here to Apply
Sanergy is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply.
NOTE TO APPLICANTS
SANERGY AND FRESH LIFE DO NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). SANERGY AND FRESH LIFE DO NOT ASK FOR INFORMATION PERTAINING TO YOUR BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS AND ANY OTHER PERSONAL INFORMATION OUTSIDE THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS.
SANERGY AND FRESH LIFE
N.B: Looking For A New Job? Find Your Next Job With Us. Click Here To Register Your CV. It’s Free.