Senior Lecturer Job, Latest Kenyan Teaching Jobs,
School: International Relations & Diplomacy (IRD)
Reports to: Dean of Faculty
The primary function of this post is the delivery and development of cutting edge
learning, teaching and scholarship at the Riara University School of International
Relations and Diplomacy. Under the supervision of the Dean, the Senior Lecturer will
be in charge of the Global & Language Studies Centre (GLASC), a program within the
School of IRD.
The School of International Relations and Diplomacy is one of the fastest growing
faculty of the University. The school’s vibrancy has led to increased enrollment, and
broadened global partnership base, leading to development of new programs,
including foreign languages (French, Mandarin and Arabic). The holder of this
position is therefore, pivotal in sustaining the growth strategy and ensuring the
quality of learning and assessment of foreign languages and diplomatic practice.
We seek an individual who can foster and develop successful collaboration within and
outside the University in order to expand the foreign language outreach.
Duties & Responsibilities
Teaching is central to the role of Academic Staff:
- The post holder will be expected to oversee the growth of the Global & Language Studies Centre as the regional hub for foreign languages and
- diplomatic practice;
- He/she will offer leadership in developing demand driven course materials
- and supervision of teaching and assessment of foreign languages and
- mainstream international relations and diplomacy courses;
- Work closely with the dean, and team members to develop and enhance
- delivery of curriculum through blended learning (face-to-face and online
- learning platforms);
- He/she will carry the teaching load which reflects workload equity across all
- staff and be involved in at least some of the large classes and in teaching both
- undergraduate and post graduate students;
- Deliver instructor led sessions, monitor student progress during training,
- provide support and advice to enable the students to gain competence in the
- units taught;
- Assist the School in identifying, developing and rolling out marketing
- strategies and activities for the foreign languages;
- Actively monitor and respond to the department’s curriculum development
- initiatives at international, regional and local levels.
- Research and scholarship:
- Harness his/her own capacity and that of other staff members for conducting
- research aimed at producing cutting edge publications in peer reviewed
- journals, book chapters and books;
- Forge partnership with universities and other relevant stakeholders to design,
- and deliver on regional and global scholarly conferences;
- Provide guidance and assistance to students and junior staff in developing their
- capacity for teaching and research;
- Assist in identifying research and scholarship opportunities and actively
- participate in development of proposals, and funding concept notes;
- Develop partnerships for securing social and monetary resources to conduct
- research in his/her field of specialization;
- Guide and supervise both undergraduate and post-graduate students in project
- papers and research;
- Foster the culture of research within the school and expose junior staff to useful
- networks inside and outside the university.
- Community Service:
- Contribute to mentorship and supervision of students undergoing internship
- and community service;
- Identify opportunities for students to participate, including students’ led
- workshops, seminars and competitions;
- Assist in organizing and guiding students to participate in community service,
- and similar platforms that enhance student’s life-long learning and
- professional development;
- Contribute to the University’s vision by forging close working relationship
- with colleagues and staff at large.
- PhD in international relations, or subjects related to global studies, political
- science, and peace and conflict studies or as appropriate to the discipline of
- international relations and diplomacy.
- Should be able to meet the requirements for the position as per the Harmonized
- Criteria and Guidelines for Appointment and Promotion of Academic Staff in
- Universities in Kenya (including the number of publications), which can be
- found on the Commission for University Education’s Website
- Creative and innovative team player.
- A confident individual with proven ability to develop and manage public and
- private sector linkages and partnerships.
- Expert knowledge in their field as well as relevant experience and the ability to
- teach, using a variety of student-based learning approaches, on a range of
- academic and professional programs.
- Ability to plan and organize public lectures, workshops, and conferences.
- A team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Action oriented person with excellent writing and editorial skills as well as a
- proven track record of effective administration and research experience.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet or exceed the above expectations are
invited to apply for the position by sending their CV, 3 referees’
contacts and cover letter indicating the current and expected gross
salary, addressed to the Vice Chancellor by 12th April 2022.
Send applications by email to; [email protected] with the email
title as; Senior Lecturer Job Application.
N.B: Looking For A New Job? Find Your Next Job With Us. Click Here To Register Your CV. It’s Free.