Other Jobs, KNCHR Jobs
REF: REF: KNCHR/ADM/RO/16/2019
Reports to: Assistant Director, WERO
Location: Kisumu with occasional travel
Duration: Permanent and Pensionable
Gross Salary: Kshs. 100,250
This position is responsible for the provision of legal support services and the implementation of region specific best practices that contribute to the realization of Human Rights within the region.
This purpose of this role is to pursue redress for human rights violations in the Commission’s regional office; to reinforce programs and practices that support the advancement of Human Rights, including access to justice, devolution, land, citizenship, security, business and human rights, minority groups, environmental rights, labour rights, public sector accountability and engaging cultural and traditional institutions to mainstream human rights.
- Undertake client screening and complaints handling for victims seeking redress for human rights violations to facilitate the justice process and seek favorable outcomes for them
- Promote proactive resolution of complaints on human rights violations to avoid recurrence of similar situation from arising. This includes the application of ADR mechanisms.
- Undertake investigations on human rights violations to ensure that the complaints are resolved promptly as per the mandate of the Commission
- Refer complaints that fall outside the mandate of the Commission to appropriate agencies for resolution
- Prepare reports on complaints received and the remedial action taken by the Commission
- Organize, plan and implement programme activities such as human rights clinics, radio talk shows and public forums to create awareness amongst members of the public
- Attend court in matters where the Commission is a party or has an interest
- Assist in preparing training content and facilitating trainings for civil society organizations, state actors and other stakeholders
- Assist in monitoring compliance with human rights standards in prisons and other detention facilities.
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly, annual and activity reports
- Assist in the management and enhancement of partnerships with human rights actors in the region in order to enhance the Commission’s effectiveness.
- Represent the Commission in various meetings and forums organized by the Commission’s partners and whose agenda touch on the Commission’s mandate
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, law or an equivalent from a recognized university
- Be admitted as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya (for lawyers)
- At least 1 year of relevant service in a comparable position from a reputable organization
- Good understanding of human rights and other relevant laws
- Good research skills.
- Good communication, listening and client management skills.
- Computer literacy
- Ability to work under pressure
- Problem solving skills
- Great attention to detail
- Respect for diversity
Shortlisted candidates will be required to submit copies of clearance certificates from the following institutions:-
- Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
- Criminal Investigations Department (CID)
- Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC)
- Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
Please note that it is a criminal offence to provide false information and documents in the application.
KNCHR is an equal opportunity employer which offers a competitive remuneration commensurate to qualifications and experience. Qualified female candidates and Persons with Disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
How To Apply
If you possess the above qualities, please submit your applications manually through the post office or by hand delivery, clearly indicating the position, and the Ref No. on both the cover letter and envelope, together with a detailed C.V, names and telephone contacts of three referees one of whom should be your immediate supervisor, to reach us by Tuesday 10th December, 2019 to:
The Commission Secretary,
Kenya National Commission on Human Rights
Lenana Road, CVS Plaza, 1st Floor
P.O. Box 74359-00200
N.B: Looking For A New Job? Find Your Next Job With Us. Click Here To Register Your CV. It’s Free.