Accountant Job at Pwani University
Pwani University, a Premier University at the Coast situated in the beautiful scenic tourist resort town of Kilifi is an equal opportunity employer. The University’s Mission is to generate, disseminate and apply knowledge while sustaining excellence in teaching, learning and research by molding students to international standards and encouraging and supporting members of staff to undertake research.
The University has a vacancy for the position of Accountant Grade 11. REF: PU/ADV/26/05/2017
Qualifications for the Accountant Job
- This is a middle-level position in the university and appointment is either on permanent and pensionable terms or on a two (2) year renewable performance-based contract depending on age, citizenship and any other reason.
- Applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree in Commerce or its equivalent from a recognized university.
- Have CPA (K) or its equivalent
- Have knowledge of ERP (Enterprises Resource Planning)
- Be registered with the relevant professional body (e.g. ICPAK)
- The applicants must have a minimum of three (3) years relevant experience in a large or busy organization, at the level of an Accountant (Grade F) or its equivalent with proven integrity, honesty and compliance to deadlines.
- Participate in preparation of institutional budgets e.g. for divisions, departments, sections and units to ensure proper allocation and utilization of resources
- Prepare weekly management reports such as cash flows, budget variance reports to inform management of the finance performance of the institution and make decision on what remedies are supposed to be implemented.
- Develop quarterly work plan for Assistant Accountants, Accounts Assistants; allocate and supervise their working to ensure smooth running of the sections and units.
- Participate in monthly divisional meetings to review work done and assist in annual development and review of financial policies and procedure to ensure relevance.
- Prepare monthly management accounts to assist the institution on planning and general making of financial decisions.
- Prepare process and review payment of vouchers to ensure timely disbursement of funds and setting of institutional financial liabilities.
- Participate in the preparation of annual financial statement and schedules for the institution to ensure that it meets all the statutory requirements.
- Participate in the preparation of departmental budget and compiling the budgets of the institution from various departments to ensure adequate and allocation of resources for all the departments.
- Review the institutions bank reconciliations to ensure accuracy in the bank transactions.
- Review and reconcile institutional debtors and credit accounts to ensure the balances are correct for proper financial accountability.
- Prepare and update timely, monthly payroll for university staff by making necessary adjustments and
posting of pay slips in the staff portal.
- Prepare and provide payroll reports to the relevant sections to ensure timely remittance to the relevant
- Review all income receipts from the cashiers and ensure accurate banking of all the cash received as
well required by the university financial policy.
- Maintain and reconcile university assets register to ensure safe custody of all the institutional policy.
- Maintain research project funds to ensure adherence to the donors and the institution requirements
and provide periodic reports.
- Prepare and timely filling of Value Added Tax, National Social and Security Fund, Higher Education
and Loans Board and as provided by the relevant statues to ensure compliance.
- Bill all the university debtors timely by posting all required fees and charges to students account and
invoicing all other institutions debtors to ensure optimum recognition of revenue.
- The candidate must have:
- Computer literacy
- Team building and team work.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Managerial skills
- Leadership skills
- Organizational skills
- Analytical ability
- In addition, the applicants should show:
- Active involvement in International/Continental/Regional /National/ Local/Community activities
How To Apply
Benefits for the above position include a competitive basic salary, house allowance, medical cover for staff and
dependants, life Insurance, opportunities for further development and training and other regular allowances.
Interested applicants should send four (4) copies of their application for the position. Applications and
recommendations letters from referees should be addressed to
The Vice Chancellor
P. O Box 195-80108, Kilifi
Applications should include an up to date CV, giving details of applicants age, marital status, academic and professional qualifications, work experience, present post and salary, email address, telephone, names and contacts of three referees who are knowledgeable about the competence of the applicant, copies of relevant certificates and testimonials.
Pwani University is an equal opportunity employer, female candidates and persons living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The deadline for submitting applications is Tuesday 30th May 2017. Applications received later than this
date will not be considered
Please Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
N.B: Looking For A New Job? Find Your Next Job With Us. Click Here To Register Your CV. It’s Free.