Programs Manager Job, NGO Jobs in Kenya 2020,
Programs Manager – Africare IMPACT Project, Turkana County
Africare is the oldest and largest African-American led organization in the field. Africare’s programs address needs in three principal areas: Agriculture & Food Security, Health & HIV/AIDS, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Throughout its 50-year history, Africare has reached 30 million people across the continent with innovative, sustainable, culturally appropriate and life-changing projects to improve the quality of life in communities throughout Sub-Saharan Africa. We strategically invest in innovating and implementing community-based solutions to complex problems, with a strong focus on skills transfer to create leaders out of beneficiaries. Our work has transformed communities and garnered wide recognition for its impact and sustainability.
Africare is implementing the Improved Approach to Community-based Nutrition in Turkana (IMPACT) project in Kenya. The goal of IMPACT is to significantly improve nutrition outcomes for pregnant and lactating women and infants and young children (defined as <2 years of age) in Turkana County. Africare aims thereby to sustainably increase diet diversity, and reduce malnutrition and hunger.
The IMPACT program currently targets villages in Katilu and Turkwel Wards where the program seeks to increase the quality and quantity of nutritious foods available to households via community gardening and improved nutrition services via health worker training and capacitation, in addition to promoting improved optimal infant and young child feeding (IYCF) and hygiene practices, and micronutrient supplementation via a set behavior change package owned by Africare; all of which will be delivered via specified channels at the health facility and community levels.
Africare seeks a Program Manager for the IMPACT Program. The incumbent will provide overall strategic leadership and accountability for the performance of all the projects and program activities of Africare’s Improved Approach to Community-based Nutrition in Turkana (IMPACT) Program. The Manager will work in collaboration with staff of Africare and Government officials at both the national and county level, project field offices and key stakeholders in Government, development partners and non-governmental organizations (including the private sector). The Manager will report to the Chief of Party and directly manage a Nutrition and an Agriculture specialist.
Duty Station(s): Africare office in Lodwar, Turkana County
Duration: 1-year contract with possibility of extension dependent on performance and funding
TECHNICAL AND STRATEGIC LEADERSHIP- 40%
- Serves as a high-level advisor to Africare’s leadership on overall transformative partnership issues in Turkana and regional cross-sectoral integration initiatives including key technical areas such as: Agriculture & Food Security, Health & HIV/AIDS, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene activities and works with the entire team to achieve strategic goals on each area of intervention.
- Articulates Africare’s transformative partnerships , development and implementation vision and strategic priorities to GOK and other development partners including donor agencies and private sector providers, leads in the alignment and harmonization with national and global best practices for the achievement of sustainable strategies to facilitate medium to long-term impact of partnership models and initiatives , providing technical direction and capacity strengthening, monitoring progress toward key milestones and recommending program course corrections as needed for interventions at national and particularly at county levels.
- Serve as the lead technical officer for Africare’s strategic partnership portfolio and provides expert direction in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the integrated nutrition programming through state-of-the-art partnership models and interventions.
- Provide expert-level guidance to policy issues related to strategic partnerships.
- Work closely with other units within Africare and the community to optimize opportunities for cross-sectoral integration and leveraging of resources across the different program components.
- Through literature review and other technical media research and regular communication with local and international stakeholders, keep abreast of emerging developments in the national and global strategic partnerships’ landscape and advise accordingly on how these policies, strategies and technical guidelines can most effectively be incorporated to enable the IMPACT program maintain the fidelity and relevance of its partnership programming as key drivers towards improving self-reliance in the Turkana community.
- Identify opportunities for integrated “state of the art” approaches, providing technical assessment and recommended strategies to pilot innovative interventions. Provide expert oversight and guidance to Africare’s implementing partners on newly emerging and highly efficacious approaches to strategic partnerships program implementation.
- In collaboration with the other members of the community and relevant ministry, advise on the development of tools (such as dash boards) that support continuous learning and adapting to further improve and evolve Africare’s knowledge base and data management capability related to integrated nutrition programming activities. Advise on targeted analyses of Agriculture & Food Security, Health & HIV/AIDS, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene to inform program planning and implementation.
PROJECT PLANNING, MANAGEMENT, MONITORING AND EVALUATION – 25%
- In collaboration with the MELR manager provide strategic and technical leadership in the preparation of key annual and mid-term planning and reporting documents including the IMPACT Operational Plan, Congressional Budget Justifications, Technical Notifications, Quarterly, Semi-Annual and Annual Progress Reports.
- Support country-level integrated programming portfolio annual budget preparation process, providing technical assistance to the financial teams and technical working groups in completing the required planning tools such as Funding Allocation to Strategy Tool and any other new tools that may be provided for use in the planning processes.
- Provide oversight to the annual strategic partnership budget and ensure costs remain within budget planning levels and that efficiency is maximized.
- Analytically assess the integrated health population and nutrition portfolio, the performance of partners, the available budget, the need for additional activities or ending activities, and facilitate design of new projects or activities necessary to achieve strategic objectives.
- Participate or take the lead on each stage of project design for new activities, including drafting and getting approval for concept papers, writing scopes of work, evaluating applications/proposals, and starting up new projects.
- Ensure that implementing partners abide by their reporting requirements, including quarterly reports, trip reports, accruals, PMPs, annual reports, and other requirements such as donor reporting or other requests. This includes supportive supervision and guidance to other technical and support staff in the Africare office as necessary.
- Lead routine meetings with implementing partners to discuss technical and programmatic direction of the IMPACT program through strategic partnerships at the county levels. Conduct field visits to Africare-supported health population and nutrition activities to meet with implementing partners and government health officials as appropriate to provide technical, programmatic, and administrative guidance as necessary.
- Maintain a technical portfolio which includes review and approval of work plans, budgets, quarterly and annual reports, performance monitoring plans, monitoring activities through field visits and ensuring that financial reporting (accruals/vouchers) are submitted to the Financial Management Office as required.
- Identify opportunities and strengthen existing opportunities for integration of Agriculture & Food Security, Health & HIV/AIDS, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene
- Technically advise and makes recommendations on the need for short-term technical assistance (STTA) from Africare Head Office and write the technical components of the scope of work for the consultants.
- In collaboration with other strategic partner members, manage the strategic partnerships’ analytical agenda for national level surveys and other studies.
- In collaboration with other strategic partnership staff, initiate and coordinate targeted analyses of strategic partnerships data to generate trends and patterns to inform planning and programming.
- Participate in and ensure the effectiveness of Site Improvement Monitoring System (SIMS) and other field visits to improve quality of service delivery.
- Developing, implementing and monitoring fundraising strategies, that includes yearly targets to meet the costs of the current and future programs;
- Approaching and raising funds from companies, trusts, partners/donors, Banks and foundations within Kenya and abroad;
- Conducting research on potential donors/partners such as trusts, foundations, companies and high net worth individuals, etc., finding a match with partners whose philanthropic or funding criteria match the organization’s, or its partners vision and activities;
- Developing, managing and updating Friends of AFRICARE databases to record their contacts and preference information; Maintaining a network of corporate contacts and effectively managing and maximizing these relationships;
- Facilitating co-financing opportunities for partner organizations;
- Developing annual work plans based on the approved strategy and if needed, preparing income and expenditure budgets for each fundraising initiatives;
- Raising awareness of AFRICARE and its work at the County and National levels;
- Developing and coordinating web-based fundraising, if needed;
- Being well versed with the AFRICARE policies in general and having access to various corporate forums; Being current and up to date with legal issues affecting corporate fundraising;
- Assisting in the preparation of project proposals for corporate and other funding agencies;
- Organizing events for partnership building between implementers and potential partners;
- Ensuring all partners receive appropriate and timely reports and updates;
- Sensitizing and training team members on fund raising and communications skills and strategy.
REPRESENTATION AND REPORTING- 15%
- Represent AFRICARE at designated national, regional and international meetings that relate to strategic partnerships and private sector engagements including regular participation in national level strategic partnerships, coordination and collaboration technical working groups and related committees.
- The Jobholder liaises and works closely with other strategic partners, to strengthen the implementation of collaborative learning and adapting on different partnership models and initiatives throughout Eastern Africa for scale up of national and regional best practices.
- Organize site visits and prepare orientation materials for delegations from Africare’s regional Office/s and, funders other agencies.
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, respond flexibly and capably to a wide range of work-related requirements
- Establish strategic working relationships with senior government officials at the national and County level, donor agencies, civil society organizations, private sector health counterparts and medical associations to enhance regular and timely sharing of information on Agriculture & Food Security, Health & HIV/AIDS, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene interventions in the country, including changes in key policies, and legal and regulatory environments that could affect the implementation of AFRICARE programs.
- S/he builds and maintains strong relationships with nontraditional public institutions to explore and establish transformative partnerships on data analytics for evidence generation, policy formulations, review and adjustments for increased capability and resources leveraging.
- Serve as the program’s representative on all inter-agency forums related to strategic partnerships for the Agriculture & Food Security, Health & HIV/AIDS, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene programs.
- Prepares timely and accurate program, reports and responses requests for information on the project performance.
SUPERVISION, COACHING/MENTORING AND STAFF SUPPORT 10%
- Supervise the programs team, which includes developing annual work objectives, identifying appropriate training opportunities, mentoring and coaching them in facilitation of professional development.
- Conduct regular performance reviews and address any performance challenges that may arise.
- Works with direct reports to determine training needs, helps identify appropriate training opportunities and ensures fair participation in training.
- Provide expert advice and guidance to direct reports on matters relating to strategic partnerships on integrated programming and how best the other program components could contribute to ensure an effective service cascade
PROGRAM MANAGER REQUIREMENTS
- Masters in either Agriculture, Agri-business, Nutrition and Public Health or related field.
- With over 7 Years’ experience in a senior management position.
- Proven experience in program management.
- Proven stakeholder management skills.
- Proven experience managing a team.
- Experience using computers for a variety of tasks.
- Competency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Understanding of project management.
Remuneration is commensurate with experience and adjusted to demonstrated current or most recent rate of pay on a yearly renewable contract for the term of the project.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please apply through our Talent Acquisition Portal [ http://bit.ly/AfricareTalent
] alongside your cover letter with subject ‘Program Manager – Africare IMPACT Project, Turkana County’, or send it through our post office address – Africare-Kenya, Pazuri Court, Ceamo Street, Nawoitorong, P.O. Box 77 – 30500 Lodwar or drop a hard copy at our offices.
Deadline for application is 30th October 2020. Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Africare is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, political affiliation, religion, gender, disability, and/or sexual orientation.