Job vacancy: Programme Officer- Policy, Legal and Institutional Frameworks
Programme: Policy, Legal and Institutional Frameworks
Reports to: Programme Coordinator – Policy, Legal and Institutional Frameworks
Duration: 1 year
Duty Station: Nairobi
Advertisement date: 18th September 2020
Transparency International Kenya (TI-Kenya) is an autonomous chapter in the Transparency International movement, a non-partisan global coalition of like-minded individuals and organizations against corruption with which we share knowledge and exchange ideas for the greater good of Kenya.
The Policy, Legal and Institutional Frameworks programme seeks to contribute to the existence of a conducive operating environment for effective public accountability. The programme’s overall objective is ‘to support the existence and enforcement of appropriate policy, legal and institutional frameworks through influencing, coalition building, and capacity development’. It seeks to address challenges in the operationalisation of the Constitution of Kenya, various anti-corruption laws and policies and capacity gaps within institutions charged with the fight against corruption.
The programme is running various projects pertaining to policing, electoral accountability, health systems’ strengthening, climate finance, extractives, public procurement among others. This work is underpinned by advocacy initiatives aimed at developing, amending and implementing legal and policy provisions.
TI-Kenya seeks to recruit a Programme Officer to support the development and administration of strategies and projects towards achievement of the overall objectives of the Policy, Legal and Institutional Frameworks programme and TI-Kenya strategic plan.
Under the overall supervision of the Programme Coordinator-Policy, Legal and Institutional Frameworks (PLIF), the Programme Officer will be responsible for providing support for the delivery of the targets of the program; specifically focusing on strengthening anti-corruption Policy, Legal and Institutional Frameworks in Kenya.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
More specifically, the Programme Officer will be involved in the below roles;
a) Design projects, work plans/schedules and ensure their successful implementation to achieve overall programme objectives and TI-Kenya strategic goals;
b) Ensure timely sub-programme reports; monthly, quarterly and annual reports;
c) Management of the programme’s budgets; monitoring expenditure, identification of budgets gaps and proper accounts to donor funds. The task will include timely reports to donors and other relevant stakeholders;
d) Support the identification and recruitment of qualified service providers including procurement of assets/utilities and consultants for tasks specific to the programme. The programme officer shall also assist in the preparation of the terms of reference, expression of interest and contracts in accordance to TI-Kenya policies and procedures and will facilitate successful delivery of work by such service providers;
e) Provide technical support to ensure that technical documents of the programme are fully reviewed, discussed and appropriately disseminated. This task includes support to research, data collection and reports;
f) Assist in the coordination of programme activities including meetings, forums, workshops, trainings and production of reports/minutes thereto;
g) Build capacity of staff and relevant stakeholders on institutional governance, service delivery and public procurement. The task includes development of IEC materials on the programme;
h) Responsible for technical support provided to APNAC Kenya and other relevant parliamentary bodies.
- Advisory/ Strategy Development.
a) Provide leadership and support development of TI-Kenya national, regional and global strategies and advocacy campaigns for accountable and transparent institutions of governance;
b) Ensure effective implementation of the TI-Kenya Strategic Plan by tracking and reviewing progress, reporting and leading the development of implementation plans under PLIF.
- Coalition Building/Partnerships Development
a) Develop links and share experiences with relevant stakeholders to promote and mainstream transparency to achieve the TI-Kenya vision and mission;
b) Provide technical support to project partners in the development of sound policies for transparent and accountable institutions of governance;
c) Work with relevant partner coalitions and networks to develop collaborative programme strategies, resource mobilization, concerted efforts and collective results for desired impact on the fight against corruption in Kenya;
d) Support the capacity-building of partner institutions and coordination with regional and international TI chapters in regard to legislative development;
e) Collaborate with relevant research and higher learning institutions;
f) Collaborate with the private sector in line with TI-Kenya policies to support transparency and accountability.
a) Provide technical support for the development of structured opportunities of institutional learning including project monitoring and evaluation, highlighting success stories and lessons learnt and development of good practices
- Budget Management, Resource Mobilisation and Business Development/Social Enterprise
a) Develop exceptional proposals and/or concepts for financial support and sustainability of the programme;
b) Develop appropriate fundraising strategies as well as sustainable alternative revenue sources;
c) Map out the resource requirements of specifically assigned projects under the Policy, Legal and Institutional Frameworks programme and mobilize resources targeting development partners whose criteria match the need of the programme;
d) Develop and track budgets, and monitor programme expenditure against budgets for the assigned project activities;
e) Manage donor contracts for assigned projects;
f) Lead social enterprise and local resource mobilisation efforts for the PLIF programme through generating additional resources from consultancies pertaining to the programme objectives, and mobilise resources from the private sector and citizens.
a) Develop and operationalize effective reporting mechanisms for the PLIF programme and ensure timely periodic, monthly and annual progress reports;
b) Work with other programme team members to conduct timely and appropriate narrative and financial reporting with respect to all activities and grants in the Policy, Legal and Institutional Frameworks programme.
- Public Communication and Social Media Advocacya) In conjunction with the Communications department, initiate and participate in mainstream and social media engagements focusing on pertinent corruption issues.
- Contribute to team effort by accomplishing related tasks as assigned from time to time.
- Minimum of a Bachelors’ Degree in Law (LLB);
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya;
- At least 5 years’ relevant work experience in anti-corruption, governance, access to justice, and stakeholder engagement including conducting advocacy initiatives among legislators, public officials and stakeholders from different sectors;
- Proven experience in legislative drafting and advocacy;
- Proven experience in managing partnerships particularly in the governance and anti-corruption sector;
- Experience and ability to conceptualise, implement and evaluate programmes.
• Familiarity with advocacy and communications strategies and tools;
• Result oriented, team player and self-motivated;
• Ability to multi-task, with tight deadlines/schedules and attention to detail;
• Excellent writing, research, communication and interpersonal skills;
• A strong commitment to the aims, objectives and values of TI-Kenya;
• A person of high integrity that will model TI-Kenya’s core values;
• High level skills in report writing and presentation;
• A mature self-starter, a good communicator and team builder with the ability to manage and motivate staff;
• High degree of flexibility;
• Ability to work independently and as a team.