Senior Design Engineer Job, Current Kenyan Engineering Jobs 2022
PowerGen Renewable Energy is a micro-grid developer and Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) company for Commercial and Industrial (C&I) solar projects in Africa. PowerGen is creating an African energy system that utilizes clean, renewable energy and smarter grids to deliver power to all.
We uniquely combine our mission – to build Africa’s future energy system, while improving lives through smarter power – with technical, on-the-ground expertise and an innovative business model. We build, own and operate AC micro-grids and C&I solar projects to bring power to residential, commercial and industrial customers. With over 120 employees, a 7,500 sq. ft. workshop and headquarters in Nairobi, offices in Tanzania, Nigeria and Sierra Leone, PowerGen is building a company that is set to have an impact on the energy sector in Africa for years to come.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Provide subject matter expert (SME) support and expertise to the Project Managers, Project Engineers and procurement teams.
- Review client expectations and requirements before handing over to the design team and ensure it is communicated clearly to the design team.
- Review and provide input to detailed designs submitted both internally and externally to ensure it meets minimum required standards as well as efficient and cost-effective constructability.
- Develop electrical power system designs for large and relatively larger projects and associated bill of quantities and technical specifications.
- Develop solar concept designs (including layout, SLDs, and BoM) as and when required by the project development team.
- Provide input into detailed design both internal and external to ensure efficient and cost-effective constructability.
- Support preparation of technical specification and inputs during equipment and contractors tendering and equipment selection stage.
- Support in preparation of technical site survey requirements.
- Develop generation and distribution system capacity and equipment operating models using selected simulation and analysis tools
- Inspect and approve relevant and reusable technical documents and design templates and models.
- Identify initiatives to improve designs and cut unnecessary costs
- Support business development and nurture relationships with client
- Support technical investigations and fault finding in PowerGen’s O&M areas to identify root causes to help restoration of the network quickly and prevent recurrence of the issue.
- Train, upskill and recommend learning opportunities to other engineers to ensure team growth and sustainability.
What Excites You:
- Tackling big, thorny problems with smart technology that will transform the African energy sector
- The opportunity to become a technical expert in an area that might be previously unfamiliar to you
- A fast-paced environment where constant change is the norm and individual initiative is expected
- Autonomy to implement your creative solutions – not just generating ideas, but committing the time, creativity, and skill to make them happen
- Excellence – in your peers, in your work, and in our company’s commitment to our customers
- Passion for organization, details, and precision in all you do.
- Become a part of the fast-growing power generation business.
- Bachelors(BSc./BTech/BEng Engineering (Electrical,Mechanical or structural)
- Related Masters degree is additional credit
- 5+ years’ relevant experience
- Certification and licenses
- EPRA T3 or equivalent
- EBK Graduate engineer or equivalent
- EBK Professional or equivalent, preferred
- Advanced technical skillset
- Power Generation (Solar PV, Battery Energy Storage and Hybrid generation)
- Power Distribution ( LV ,MV)
- Power Installation
- Testing & Commissioning
- Site Management ( Technical Support for construction)
- Troubleshooting Capability
- Quality Control
- Solar and BESS design software knowledge and experience e.g PVSyst,Helioscope, Homer
- Advanced analytical ability
- Advanced communication skills – written and verbal
- Advanced project management and stakeholder management
How to Apply