People & HR Coordinator Job at Educate!
Educate! is seeking a people and systems-oriented HR Coordinator to take on the Human Resources function in our brand-new Kenya Country Office. We are looking for someone flexible, driven, knowledgeable, passionate, and eager to learn more about all facets of HR and talent, to take on a full range of HR responsibilities including recruiting, on-boarding, payroll and benefits administration, compliance, culture and engagement, and more.
Educate! is growing fast and with this growth we are looking for individuals excited to work and grow in an entrepreneurial, fast paced environment. As a member of the HR department in Kenya you will work in a high-performance culture with a motivated and supportive team of talented individuals, including our Kenya country team and our global talent team.
This is unique opportunity for the right person to help build the HR function in our Kenya office as part of a team that makes recruiting and talent development a top priority.
Educate! works to transform education in Africa to teach youth to solve poverty for themselves and their communities.
Educate! provides youth with skills training in leadership, entrepreneurship and workforce readiness along with mentorship to start real businesses at school. Our model is delivered through practically-trained teachers and youth mentors. Educate!’s goal is to make this practical, skills-based model part of national education systems.
In 2017 we’re working in 100 schools in Rwanda and more than 450 secondary schools in Uganda reaching over 240,000 students. Our model was proven to have massive impact in a randomized controlled trial. Graduates earned DOUBLE the income of a control group and had a 64% increase in business creation. Our graduates change their lives and their communities, such as Lillian Aero who employs over 100 AIDS-affected women.
In 2012 Educate! partnered with Uganda’s government to integrate curriculum and a student business club structure into Uganda’s entrepreneurship course nationally, and in 2015 we began serving as a technical advisor to Rwanda on their national curriculum reform.
Educate!’s team includes 130 staff and almost 200 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations such as MasterCard, Big Bang Philanthropy, Mulago, Echoing Green, Ashoka and Global Innovation Fund. Educate! won the 2015 WISE Awards, and was featured by Forbes 30 under 30, Clinton Global Initiative and The Brookings Institution.
Educate!’s Vision for 2024 is to measurably impact one million students and reach four million students per year more broadly across Africa.
Roles for the People & HR Coordinator Job
Recruiting, Onboarding, Compensation and Contracting
- Source and recruit high performers to build our growing team in Kenya.
- Run a structured and efficient interview process to select top candidates, ensuring a seamless experience for both hiring managers and candidates.
- Build on and represent Educate!’s brand in the Kenya talent market.
- Negotiate and finalize offers with new hires.
- Draw up and maintain employee contracts, including ensuring that contracts meet Kenyan legal and regulatory standards.
- Run a welcoming, high-quality orientation and onboarding experience to ensure that new staff are well prepared for their roles, understand the organization, and are engaged from the beginning.
- Manage and negotiate contract renewals and promotions.
- Communicate compensation philosophy to team and conduct market research to regularly update salary scale .
HR Administration and Reporting
- Secure, track, and/or administer employee benefits including insurance and annual leave.
- Secure and maintain work authorization for foreign employees as needed.
- Work together with Finance & Operations Coordinator to administer payroll efficiently and accurately.
- Maintain employee personnel files.
- Compile monthly HR report concerning staff, contractors, and volunteers.
Culture, Engagement and Performance Management
- Run performance management and goal-setting and reporting systems for staff, focused on strong individual growth.
- Ensure that the entire team understands and lives Educate!’s culture, including fostering open and strong relationships within the team.
- Establish an environment of open and honest communication and high engagement among Educate! staff in Kenya.
- Manage performance and disciplinary challenges, including administering disciplinary procedures and performance improvement plans when necessary.
Policies, Procedures and Compliance
- Propose, write, and revise and write HR policies as needed and ensure staff know, understand and abide by these.
- Lead creation of training manuals, HR manual and employee handbook, drawing from our manuals in other countries and with support from our Regional Operations and Finance Director.
- Ensure that all policies and procedures are in compliance with the employment law, engaging the services of lawyers where necessary.
- Have knowledge and mastery of the Employment Act and other legal instruments for reference purposes and to inform policy.
People & HR Coordinator Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in human resources or a related subject.
- At least 2-3 years of professional experience, with at least some exposure to human resources administration or a related area.
- Some experience working in a startup or social enterprise environment strongly preferred.
- Passion for recruiting and developing top talent.
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here.
- Compensation will be competitive for the social enterprise sector and commensurate with experience.
- Benefits include a generous vacation policy and medical insurance.
- This position will be based in our office in Nairobi.
Why You Will Brag About Working At Educate!
- We’ve got the impact.
- Educate! is designed for scale. We quadrupled operations in 2014, going from 54 to more than 200 schools served. We carefully measure our outcomes, and — here’s the best part — we are maintaining quality at four times the size.
- We believe in local leadership — 96% of our staff is African.
- Our model has gone nationwide in Uganda — Educate!’s model is now incorporated into the national curriculum and exams, impacting many thousands more students than we can reach directly.
- Educate is a well-oiled learning machine. We built our model by methodically testing hundreds of assumptions and we are constantly experimenting, evaluating, and improving.
- We’re honored that luminaries and leaders like Oliver Wonekha, the Ugandan Ambassador to the US, and Ann Veneman, a former Secretary of Agriculture and head of Unicef, believe in us enough to have joined our advisory board.
How to Apply
Intrigued? Please visit here https://boards.greenhouse.io/educate/jobs/691933#.WUoXn2iGPIU to apply. You will be asked to upload a resume, and your response to the following questions:
What would make you excited to work for Educate!? Why do you want to work in this role specifically? What achievements are you most excited about in your current work place?
Tell us about a time you had to give or receive a tough piece of feedback. Application deadline will be rolling, with a goal to fill position ASAP.