Options Consultancy Services Limited is a leading global health consultancy established in 1992 as a wholly owned subsidiary of MSI Reproductive Choices. We manage health programmes that ensure vulnerable women and children can access the high-quality health services they need. We work with partners to co-create and implement locally informed solutions to complex health problems. This includes governments, development partners, NGOs, civil society and health workers. Our programming is flexible, evidence-based and politically informed. This means we adapt to changing contexts, use data to inform our decisions and ensure our approach is appropriate. Our focus is always on building local skills and systems that last.
Options seeks a consultant to provide technical expertise in carrying out a top level nationally focused Political Economy Analysis (PEA) which will support sub national/district focused analysis within the Africa Led Movement Programme (PEA.)
Options as part of a UK government funded consortium has engaged to carry out the Africa-led movement (ALM) to end FGM programme, with the goal of ultimately ending FGM. The consortium’s approach to support the Africa-led movement is girl-centred, recognises the intersecting identities that inform their lives, and aims to empower all girls and women – promoting health, bodily autonomy, and their right to live free from violence.
The work on the programme is framed within a learning and adaptive programming approach. Funds flow to participating organisations through a granting mechanism managed by the consortium. Youth and women’s rights organisations are a core success factor in reducing FGM and other forms of violence, yet only a small fraction of gender equality development funding reaches these groups. Grants will help finance both community-based initiatives and the roles that these groups might play in the accelerating and scaling strategy
The purpose of the consultancy to provide technical expertise in carrying out a top level nationally focused Political Economy Analysis (PEA) which will then support sub national/district focused analysis at a later stage.
Key activities for the Consultant are;
- Review and input into the political economy country profile document in terms of governmental structures and systems, economic position, gender index ranking, rates of Violence Against Women and Girls (VAWG) by type, legislative provision for gender equality and specifically FGM/C.
- Support a thorough FGM/C stakeholder mapping exercise of government agencies and key political actors, INGOs, CSOs working to promote gender equality and more specifically ending FGM/C at national levels.
- Work closely with in-country consortium partners (Action Aid and/or AMREF) to identify and map relevant programmes/projects promoting gender equality across the different sectors (WASH, Education, Women’s Economic Empowerment, Rights-based programming/Child protection) relevant for mainstreaming of FGM/C interventions
Please refer to the TOR for the requirements needed for this role.
- Options is an equal opportunities employer
- Our organization is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and post holders to share this commitment
- We seek people who are pro-choice, energetic and enthusiastic about Options’ vision