Program Manager Job, Current Kenyan NGO jobs in Kenya,
The Moyo Gems Program Manager (hereafter: Program Manager) reports to the Pact Kenya Country Director (based in Nairobi, Kenya) with a dotted line to Pact’s Global Director of the Mines to Markets program (based in Washington, DC). This position is Kenya or Tanzania-based and is funded for two years; ongoing employment depends on both additional donor funding, commercial success of the program, and on performance. Additional colleagues are based in Europe, Kenya, Tanzania, United Kingdom, and the United States.
The Program Manager is responsible for leading the regional rollout of Moyo Gems programs in East Africa (currently Kenya and Tanzania). She/He/They will have chief responsibility of meeting the project’s technical objectives, managing financial resources, managing partner relationships, maintaining good working relationships with host government officials and local partners.
Pact is looking for a self-starter, a people person, and someone with an entrepreneurial spirit needed to continue to improve all aspects of the program and interact with new audiences.
Basic Key Responsibilities:
Promote program success
- Maintain and build excellent program relations with Kenya partners (as listed above) and trading partners (Kenyan exporters and international trading partners).
- Working as a team member, lead Moyo Gems “Market Days” events in Kenya, typically once per quarter, in Taita Taveta County (TTC), in coordination with Pact Kenya and AWEIK, and the Government of TTC.
- Continue to improve efficiencies of Market Days, and lead pilot projects, such as ‘lower value’ gemstone markets (already successful in Tanzania) and the testing of a digital platform for gemstone sales in Kenya.
- Monitor the success and challenges of the miners participating in Moyo Gems. Work with the broader Moyo Gems team to solve challenges in a careful, collaborative way.
- Monitor WORTH program rollout in TTC and collect key indicators for a data-loving donor.
- With Moyo Gems’s team, maintain an active social media presence that promotes the program’s benefits, successes, partners, and participants in ways that are respectful, focus on dignity, and promote the power of responsible market approaches.
- Promote the spirit of responsible mining amongst Moyo Gems miners, traders, and government. No previous mining experience needed but a commitment to learning about this subject is required. Some exposure to responsible mining themes or the gemstone trade is an advantage.
- Anticipate opportunities and develop innovative project ideas, proposals and applications including exploring and developing opportunities for complementary funding for promotion of community and social enterprise development activities and supports for target groups. **
- Contribute to and eventually lead proposal submissions to new philanthropic donors.
- Participate in webinars and presentations. Interact with journalists and invited international or sub-national visitors.
- Regular travel to Tanzania as needed (up to 20% of the time).
Maintain steady program operations
- Support the design and implementation of high-quality technical programming. Coordinate training programs for East African mining communities in conjunction with Pact’s mining team.
- Monitor inputs, outputs, outcomes and impacts including satisfaction levels of individuals through data collection, reports, case studies and by any other means which may be required by the program.
- Build relationships and networks with area residents and community groups to encourage their participation in local activities and projects, with particular emphasis on hard to engage / disengaged residents to strengthen their participation. Support program planning, including annual work planning and budget development, including ensuring the alignment of the budget to expected results.
- Apply a broad range of community development and engagement processes and practices to assist Kenyan and Tanzanian mining communities to identify and align with local priorities.
- Develop, facilitate and drive strategic collaborative partnerships and networks focused on developing targeted responses to identified social inclusion and economic development needs
- Assist skills development of potential community leaders, volunteers, community groups and local representative working groups (committee) members.
- Communicate clearly, consistently, collaboratively, and with respect to all Moyo Gems stakeholders. **
- Develop excellent working relationships with program partners, stakeholders, and donors as needed.
- Inspire and mentor implementation partners as needed, and support teams and technical consultants as needed.
- Contribute to the development of programmatic and financial reports.
- Ensure Moyo Gems’s compliance with Pact policies and procedures, donors, and local laws, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Ensure security and privacy protocols are robust within the Moyo Gems program. **
- Troubleshoot and problem solve in all aspects of the Kenya and Tanzania Moyo Gems programs. **
- Other tasks as assigned.
- The Program Manager must already have the right to work in Kenya or Tanzania.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Near or full-fluency in Kiswahili is preferred, but full spoken proficiency is a minimum.
- Dynamic interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to network, liaise and
- negotiate with other local groups and agencies and to form positive working relationships
- with local community group committees and funders.
- Bachelor’s degree and 7-10 years of relevant experience working in a business startup capacity, or for an international development organization, social enterprise, as a project manager, or similar. Candidates with more experience are welcomed.
- Community engagement experience is an advantage.
- Ability to thrive in most situations. In Kenya and Tanzania, there may be overnight trips in sometimes ‘rustic’ hotels. Flexibility and grace are valued and appreciated.
- Ability for routine travel to program sites in Nairobi and TTC in Kenya and Tanga, Morogoro, and Arusha regions in Tanzania.
- While it is not required for success, please indicate any previous exposure to artisanal mining or the gemstone trade.
How to apply
Interested candidates, who meet the above requirements, should send an updated CV and Cover Letter to [email protected] with the subject of the email as ‘Moyo Gems Program Manager**’.** Interviews will take place as CVs are received.