Communications Officer Job at Pact NGO
Pact, Mercy Corps and its partners are currently implementing PEACE III, a five-year USAID funded cross-border conflict management program. PEACE III is providing targeted technical and financial support to improve the responsiveness of national and regional actors to prevent and respond to cross border conflict management, and strengthen the capacities of cross border communities to peacefully manage conflict.
The program currently works with 21 local CBOs as its local implementing partners in both Karamoja and Somali clusters, as well as with national Conflict Early Warning, Early Response Units (CEWERUs) in Kenya, Uganda, South Sudan, Ethiopia and Somalia.
Reporting to the COP, the Communications Officer will be based in Nairobi and will play the key role of assisting and supporting programme communication needs in PEACE III, and other Pact Kenya programs as requested. The position will assist in the development and support of internal and external communications assignments. This position will work very closely with the MERL and program teams.
Communications Officer Job Responsibilities
- To assist in the review and implementation of a program wide communication strategy both internal and external
- To develop creative ways to document programmatic processes and change stories that effectively communicate program outcomes and impact. This could be in form of periodic newsletters, brochures, photos, graphics, case studies, success stories etc.)
- To support in the production of capacity building communication material e.g. manuals, toolkits, publications, film clips etc.
- Provide oversight to Pact Kenya’s publications and visual outputs such as presentations so they are of high quality and are disseminated appropriately
- Provide support to preparing periodic reports; write external and internal reports and edit funding proposals as requested.
- Assist in capacity building on communication for staff and partner organizations, as may be requested from individual programs
- Day-to-day management of PEACE III website or knowledge management sites (Mosaic), including updating and ongoing monitoring, and gaining input from other staff as necessary
- To contribute towards the planning of, and arrangement for PEACE III events, in particular regarding the design and production of materials.
- To take high quality photographs of PEACE III event activities, and beneficiaries stories.
- Provide support to program partners in documentation and other communications needs as may be required
Qualifications for the Communications Officer Job
- Excellent spoken and written English: general ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral form; specific skills in writing press releases and articles/stories for traditional and electronic media in plain English.
- University Degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations; or equivalent professional work experience in the communication area combined with university degree in a related field.
- 5 to 7 years of experience in managing development communication especially in a USAID funded program.
- Knowledge of current theories and practices in communication research, planning and strategy, and the role of mass media.
- Knowledge of how to present information to different audiences including general public, media to high level decision-makers.
- Analytical and conceptual skills to think and plan strategically. Skills and experience in communication programmes, monitoring, review and evaluation.
- Proven ability to effectively manage relationships with media representatives, government officials, community groups and other Pact Kenya partners.
- Knowledge of computer systems and applications, specifically interactive digital media soft wares like Adobe Creative Suites.
- Knowledge of photography and digital camera use
- Knowledge of video shooting, editing and production an advantage.
- Demonstrated skill in programme communication, development of Information, Education and Communication material, documentation and publication (including web-based documentation)
- The ability to produce analytical and well-presented reports and publications.
- Good interpersonal skills: the ability to communicate clearly and effectively at all levels, considering cultural and language difficulties.
How to Apply
Interested applicants fulfilling the requirements are invited to send their application letter and CV to [email protected] indicating “Communications Officer” on the subject line.
Deadline for applications: July 3rd, 2017
N.B: Looking For A New Job? Find Your Next Job With Us. Click Here To Register Your CV. It’s Free.