Role and responsibilities
- To provide operational Finance support, budget monitoring, grant management and reporting of donor funds in NRC Kakuma
- Review coding of transactions and supporting documents to ensure their correctness as per the approved budget codes.
- Ensure, in coordination with the relevant project staff, that project expenses are incurred consistent with grant agreements and budgets.
- Monitor expenditures, planned costs, committed costs and identify cases of budget over-spent and under-spent to provide relevant information and advice to the budget holders for informed management decisions.
- Ensure accurate maintenance of all files and transactions for grant requests, incomes, expenditures, accounting and closure at NRC Kakuma.
- Support Project Coordinators/Managers in proposal writing, and budget preparation and monitoring.
- Prepare periodic budget monitoring reports.
- Ensure that the Kakuma office consistently meets all donor and NRC rules and regulations pertaining to finance and procurement.
- Ensure that adequate financial management routines and systems are in place.
- Directly lead, manage and motivate the Finance Assistant (FA) – and ensure that she/he has a clear work plan and objectives and receive regular supervisions and reviews.
- Verify the accuracy, validity, legitimacy of all payments for completeness of financial documents, (purchase requests, work orders, pro forma invoices), proper coding and approval by responsible managers before payments are made. Ensure NRC creditors are paid promptly.
- Ensure weekly and monthly cash counts are made together with an independent senior manager. Work with Finance Assistant to compile cash requests into realistic cash forecast for review by Area Manager/Support Coordinator and Finance Manager by the 10th of every month.
- Review and verify submitted weekly returns from the Finance Assistant to ensure correct coding before submission to the Finance Coordinator by every Monday.
- Prepare and send monthly Cash and Bank reconciliations to Finance Manager Nairobi after review by SC and AM Kakuma.
- Experience from working as a Finance Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own skills/profile
- Knowledge of English
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Finance or Accounting
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), level 2
- Minimum of 3 years’ relevant experience in a donor grants management role
- Specific familiarity with reporting to UNHCR, ECHO, BPRM, EC, SIDA, NMFA and UNICEF.
Knowledge, Skills & Personal Attributes
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Good financial analysis skills
- Understanding of the Kenya humanitarian environment
- Good knowledge of financial reporting systems
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to work well with people from diverse cultures and communicate effectively.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Good computer skills in MS Office.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply