Sub-Editor Job, Kenyan Media Vacancies,
The Group seeks to recruit an experienced and self-motivated individual to the position of Sub-editor, The EastAfrican in the Editorial Department.
The jobholder will be responsible for editing stories, writing captions, placing pictures and writing headlines for the Group’s print and web platforms in accordance with journalistic ethics, editorial objectives and house style within set deadlines.
- Checking and correcting editorial copy allocated by the Chief Sub-editor for facts, accuracy, libel, taste, house style, language use, clarity, details, objectivity and spelling;
- Subbing the copy to fit allocated space without distorting facts or dispensing with the salient points;
- Writing or rewriting the appropriate headline for the copy, ensuring it reflects the overriding message of the story;
- Selecting pictures to fit the allocated space, and writing/rewriting appropriate captions, taking care not to merely state the obvious details;
- Submitting the edited copy within set deadlines;
- Designing the editorial pages as directed by the Chief Sub-editor;
- Checking all headlines, captions, pictures, copy text and page logos, folios and all other page elements to sign off the pages within set deadlines;
- Checking copy and correcting any errors;
- Ensuring associated convergence elements are clearly sign-posted in print stories/pages;
- Adhering to the Group’s Social Media Policy as updated from time to time.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or its equivalent from a recognised institution;
- Diploma in mass communication;
- Three (3) years reporting or editing experience in a digital newsroom or publishing house, or modern communication-related fields;
- Mature, independent, self-driven and effective planner;
- Ability to write and edit, conduct research and interpret data.
How To Apply
If you meet the above criteria, apply online at https://www.nationmedia.com/careers/ on or before September 15, 2021.
Note: We will only contact the shortlisted applicants.
N.B: Looking For A New Job? Find Your Next Job With Us. Click Here To Register Your CV. It’s Free.