In recent years, there has been a significant development in MSF’s medical and operational activities that has been sustained by an upsurge in MSF’s operational budget and complexity. Every year, approximately half of MSF’s budget is spent in procurement (services and goods).
The MSF Strategic Procurement Program (MSPP) has been launched to intensify collaboration between the different MSF entities and streamline the existing MSF procurement set up, in order to achieve optimal operational efficiency by avoiding duplication, waste and operational complexity.
The ultimate goal of the program is to develop and implement a global, common approach to strategic procurement across all entities (OCs, ESCs and Partner Sections) at international, regional and national level.
In this context, MSF wants to develop strategic procurement support for field indirect spend.
PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The Field Procurement Expert for Indirect Spend will:
- Report hierarchically to the Field Strategic Procurement Project Manager
- Work closely with the Procurement, Supply and Log field referents from the 6 Operational Centers and the other MSPP team members.
- Interact with other stakeholder groups within the MSF movement (Operations, Logistics, Medical, Finance, Legal and HR).
OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
The overall objective of the Field Procurement Expert for Indirect Spend is to coordinate the development and implementation of service strategy for the main categories & countries while building a business case and supporting the movement with service procedures and guidelines.
The Field Procurement has the mandate to support the 6 Operational Centers regarding the development of procurement strategy for Indirect Categories, rising awareness of the procurement added value for the field.
The Field Procurement Expert for Indirect Spend position is not a substitute for the local team (including Procurement Manager where there is one in place) in the mission nor the Partner Section. He/She is not accountable for the local purchasing.
The main responsibilities are as follows:
- Lead the spend analysis for indirect categories based on the information provided (historical spend, budget and forecast) by the MSPP/Monitoring Project manager
- Continue the alignment and definition of the priorities regarding indirect categories with the main stakeholders from HQ and Field (Ops, Logistic, Supply, Finance, HR, Procurement, other technical referents);
- Develop and support the implementation of the procurement strategy for the selected indirect categories, as they are not covered today by supply/procurement staff in the field, based on the lessons learned from the pilots;
- Develop and manage knowledge concerning local and regional markets, local commercial laws & regulations and politics, as well as about MSF operational contexts and needs for the selected indirect categories;
- Develop market assessments and benchmark analysis (including local, regional, and international options) in order to collect all required information to feed the procurement strategy of the selected priority categories;
- Identify and implement synergies between MSF entities and Operations whenever possible;
- Develop and lead the indirect procurement governance implementation for the categories / countries selected;
- Provide strategic guidance and advice to the missions in order to develop their local procurement strategy for indirect spend categories;
- Build capacity in indirect procurement domain providing coaching and training to the field staff regarding procurement domain.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business and/or Supply Chain with ideally a specialization in procurement or project management or a combination of relevant education and professional experience.
- At least 3 years of experience in indirect spend (such as customs and transport, insurances, office, warehouse, housing, ICT…) including data analysis, sourcing, complex negotiation and contracting or a position in a different domain entailing the same components;
- Experience in category management;
- Computer literacy: proven ability to work with Office and ERP, in particular a good command of excel is a must
- Field missions in procurement /supply chain functions with MSF or another NGOs is a plus
- Experience in project management is an added value
- Proven track record of change management.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Analytical mindset, organizational skills and autonomy are a must
- Excellent communication skills, assertiveness and negotiation skills
- Ability to work in a cross-cultural and cross-functional environment
- Drive for change, improvement and innovation
- Commitment to MSF values is compulsory.
- Fluently spoken and written English
- French and Spanish are a strong asset