Procurement Officer Jobs at Mount Kenya University
The Procurement Officer shall report to the Procurement & Supplies Manager and will be responsible and accountable for initiating purchase requests and keeping track of the stages through which each order is routed until receipt and payment.
Work also involves shipping and receiving responsibilities for materials purchased including filing damage claims and shipping out materials being returned for various reasons.
Work is usually performed under general supervision and requires the use of independent judgment and initiative while continuing to work within defined university procurement policies and procedures.
Procurement Officer Job Responsibilities
- Maintaining updated procurement documents and Manuals
- Circulation of quotes, bids and proposal for evaluation;
- Assisting with the coordination of the selected bidder to ensure completion of administrative processes including Bid Security, contract award notice and that contract documents are distributed accordingly.
- Assisting with managing the administrative process throughout the duration of the preparation of all documentation until the award of the contract
- Preparation of management information and statistical report;
- Processing the appropriate documents procedures for purchases/Services /Contracts;
- Providing purchased materials to the responsible receiving departments.
- Maintaining appropriate records to ensure that procurement process, decision, and contractual agreements are accurately documented for accountability and audit purpose.
- Receiving purchases and checking requests from departments, checking for accuracy and forwarding to university procurement office/store.
- Maintaining contact with vendors regarding orders and merchandise, new products, market conditions, and trends;
- Coordinating purchasing from on-site vendors not associated with university procurement operations.
- Receiving, inspecting, and distributing merchandise to appropriate individuals/departments /directorates;
- Filing damage claims with companies or vendors.
- Preparing periodic reports related to purchasing, inventory control including quarterly reconciliation of stocks.
- Evaluating the quality and appropriateness of supplies and equipment; conducting cost/quality comparisons.
- Liaising with all directorates/departments to determine purchasing needs and specifications.
- Coordinating expenditure records with university accounts payable in order to assure prompt and accurate payment to vendors/suppliers.
- Preparation of Request for Quotation, Initiations to Bid, Requests for Proposal and co-ordination of their timely dispatch.
- Performing any other duties related as assigned by immediate supervisor.
Qualifications for the Procurement Officer Job
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Management, Finance, Procurement, Logistics Management or a relevant field.
- 3 to 4 years of progressively responsible experience in procurement.
- Good working knowledge of MS Office application (Word, Excel), procurement ERP systems, email and able to easily navigate the Internet
- Knowledge of purchasing methods and procedures as designated by university procurement office.
- Knowledge of record keeping methods and procedures applicable to purchasing, as well as some knowledge of the application of bookkeeping principles and methods to the keeping of procurement records.
- Knowledge of supplies and materials utilized in office, technical, or maintenance operations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with institutional officials and vendors
- Able to uphold and respect procurement ethics and to conduct activities with integrity.
- A team player who demonstrates patience, flexibility, resourcefulness and honesty.
- Be willing and able to meet tight deadlines and work long hours when required.
- A self-starter, who is able to plan and manage his/her own work, takes initiative and strives to meet deadlines.
- Be able to work in a multicultural environment.
- Should be attentive to detail.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to submit applications giving details of the educational and professional qualifications, age, detailed work experience, present post and salary, applicant’s telephone number and e-mail address, a detailed curriculum vitae including three (3) referees who are knowledgeable about the applicant’s competence and area of specialization.
- Interested applicants should send the applications to the undersigned, quoting the reference number for the job applied for so as to be received on or before 12th September, 2017.
- Electronic application can be sent in PDF format by email to [email protected].
- Terms of service are provided for as per Mount Kenya University scheme of service
- Mount Kenya University is an equal opportunity employer.
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Applications should be addressed to;
The Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Administration, Planning and Institutional Advancement,
Mount Kenya University,
Main Campus, Thika,
General Kago Road,
N.B: Looking For A New Job? Find Your Next Job With Us. Click Here To Register Your CV. It’s Free.