Role & Responsibilities
Contribute to Medair overall mission by fulfilling the responsibilities for this position in the Finance Shared Service Centre (SSC) located in Nairobi (Kenya). Ensuring the quality and timeliness of the month-end closing, external statutory / donor audit and internal audits, and financial reporting of Medair. Ensuring an excellent partnership via strong collaboration with the GSO Finance Partner and local country finance team.
Medair Global Support Office (GSO / SSC) provides operational guidance for country programmes, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our Global Support Office, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes, and to recruit international and GSO staff.
Medair GSO Field Finance / SSC Finance team, primarily focus on Medair financial management for various country programs and related projects and grants.
Workplace & Conditions
This is an SSC Finance position based in Nairobi, Kenya, with regular field visits to the country programs supported by the SSC. Kenya Nationals as well as eligible personnel with a valid work permit for Kenya can apply.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, open-ended contract.
Key Activity Areas
Responsibility / Outcomes
- Contribute to the development of concepts and techniques, ensure the quality and timeliness of complex tasks in creative and effective ways, interact with various stakeholders such as GSO finance partners, various depts, country Finance Manager to drive efficiencies.
- An important key player within SSC Finance team to ensure smooth operation.
- Ensure high quality financial data / book closing in line with Medair Finance required deadlines, including timely review, reconciling and posting of financial transactions (Navigotor/Navision or other systems) per “Closing Checklist”.
- Ensure that a local set of statutory finance books is kept updated in compliance with local statutory requirement via collaboration with local finance team and GSO Audit Support team. Contribute to preparing and reviewing monthly and annual financial statements for various country programs.
- Strongly drive Medair process standardization projects, as improving systems, policies and procedures on an on-going basis on key processes and ensure proper documentation and implementation to cope with the objectives of Medair, and strive to be a “Super user” of Medair ERP system.
- Actively seek and provide training to the relevant country Finance teams in a systematic approach.
- Proactively drive other departments to improve overall Medair’s efficiencies.
- Ensure the financial sustainability, such as cash position of each country program served is at optimal status for Medair via collaborating with GSO Finance & relevant country teams.
- Actively provide consultancy and support to the country finance teams as needed as “Roving Officer” with a visit once every two months to the country programs served and also the special targeted visit in the annual performance objectives.
- Review and verify if country finance teams are in compliance with internal controls within “Finance / Accounting manual”.
- Proactively participate in “Donor audits” via collaborating with various parties. Ensure timely communication regarding audit observations are properly followed upon by various stakeholders.
- Implement a new ERP system.
- Contribute to streamline and optimize the key processes related to Finance and other relevant key processes.
- Work smartly with strong collaboration with various stakeholders.
- Renew mindset to have proactive approaches on tasks and jobs.
Team Spiritual Life
- Lead and reflect the values of Medair with team, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of SSC Finance team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- College / university graduated in finance or accounting.
- Professional qualification in finance, audit and accounting. Preferred in holding CPA (certified public accountant), or CMA (certified managerial accountant) or other finance related licenses.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written). French desirable.
Experience / Competencies
- Minimum relevant working experience in accounting and finance for at least 7 years, it is a plus if holding field experience in the humanitarian or development sector.
- Proficient in Excel; knowledge in Medair finance systems to be highly productive in performing the job.
- Strong knowledge of accounting, finance, internal control and risk management.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with various stakeholders, working through issues and operational challenges with; also ensure the understanding of the cost drivers of the business and can provide insight to the non-finance members. Savvy in Technology and IT driven.
- Proven managerial accounting experience with strong knowledge on a project-based organization.
- Analytical ability with a good attention to detail with high capacity to draw intelligence from numbers.
- Oral and written communication skills with the ability to present plans to support business decisions.
- Good time management skills, ability to prioritize workload and to work to strict reporting deadlines.
- Business Acumen: holding strong Field of knowledge for the position, specify in regard to Humanitarian essentials, Sphere and CHS standards, other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols. Desirable.
How to Apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.