ABOUT FIELD READY
Field Ready is a non-governmental organisation that is dedicated to bringing innovation to international disaster relief. Our vision is to meet humanitarian needs by transforming logistics through technology, innovative design and engaging people in new ways. We make possible the local manufacture of useful items to solving problems in various sectors such as health, water, and sanitation. We do this by using the latest technology as well as traditional manufacturing. We pass on these skills to others through training and pioneering innovative approaches to the toughest challenges. The impact of this is dramatically improved efficiency in aid delivery by quickly meeting needs and cutting procurement costs. Our approach is truly effective and ground-breaking. For more information, please visit: www.fieldready.org
Field Ready is leading an exciting 12-month program in response to the coronavirus pandemic. Working with partners on-the-ground, Field Ready will bring its extensive experience in digital and appropriate manufacturing to connect supply and demand, map capabilities and make essential infection control and PPE items for frontline workers, with the aim of reducing the transmission of COVID-19. This program brings together a set of innovative approaches to make an impact in Bangladesh, Iraq, Kenya and Uganda.
The Manufacturing Engineer will work under the direction of the Technical Project Manager and Global COVID-19 Response Program Manager, working closely with local manufacturing partners to produce and quality assure PPE and infection control products.
An effective applicant will combine relevant technical know-how with excellent people skills. The best candidate will have an ability to adapt and get things done under challenging conditions.
The following are illustrative responsibilities that are expected to evolve over time and depend on the organizational and programmatic needs. The responsibilities for this task include but are not limited to:
- Liaise with local and national manufacturers and manufacturing networks to build program networks and manufacturing partnerships
- Support manufacturing partners to use the methods needed to produce approved PPE and infection control items.
- Work with manufacturing partners to assess quality and support the highest level of production standards, with the support and guidance of Field Ready global technical team.
- Support manufacturing partners with supply-chain processes and procurement, where needed.
- Work with program partners to support the mapping of manufacturing capabilities in Kenya.
- Manage other production partners with visits and assessments.
- Collect feedback from demand-side partners and work with Global COVID-19 Response Program Manager to ensure proper data collection and assist in donor reporting.
- All other duties assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering.
- 3+ years’ experience working in manufacturing
- Experience of working in production and quality control.
- Authority, ability and willingness to travel to and work across Kenya in a Covid19 safe manner.
- Fluency in English and Swahili
- A self – starter, a close listener and a team player, who actively promotes a congenial work environment.
- Interest in product development and innovation and its use in social good.
- Experience working with refugees and people with disabilities.