Logistics Advisor Job, Current Logistics Jobs In Kenya,
The general objective of the position is to disseminate and implement the policies and standards defined by the Logistics Department. Ensure the alignment of the Logistics Dept. policies and standards with those of other departments represented in Cell, and that result is appropriate with the context of the mission. Ensure the quality of the programmes as well as the respect for MSF humanitarian principles in the missions managed by the cell, through technical supervision, follow-up and advice.
The Logistics Advisor is part of the Operational Cell 5, which oversees the following portfolio of missions: Ethiopia, Sudan, South Sudan and Somalia.
The TELOCO reports hierarchically to the Deputy Head of the Cell 5 (DRECO 5) and functionally to the Head of Operational Logistics.
1. Provide strategic and technical support to field teams
- Collaborate with and give technical support to the teams in the field in all phases of the project cycle (design of project proposal, planning, monitoring and evaluation, project re-orientation, expansion or closure), for regular, exploratory, and emergency missions.
- Define and justify the logistic strategy of the projects within portfolio, ensuring it aligned with both Operations and Logistics Dept’s objectives.
- Support missions with logistics advice when drafting the annual planning of the projects, in close collaboration with the rest of the members of his/her cell and the support of the Logistics department.
- Provide logistical technical support to the assigned portfolio, taking into account operational orientations and the input from support services.
- Support emergencies when needed, to ensure effectiveness of our response.
2. Supervise and support implementation of policies and plans
- Ensure that the Organisation’s Logistical and ITC principles, guidelines, and policies are implemented, as well as the recommendations mentioned in the different logistical evaluations. Identify report on and defend situations in which their implementation is not viable or may hinder the achievement of operational objectives.
- Contribute to implementation of the annual operational plan in the projects within portfolio, according to Logistical and ITC policies.
3. Ensure appropriate procurement, monitoring and management of logistical resources
- Transmit missions’ logistical resources requirements to LogOps, making sure they are pertinent, to ensure appropriate procurement of resources to missions.
- Monitor the supply chain management in the field together with the Logistics Coordinator and ensure they are aligned to OCBA supply policies and strategies.
- Ensure that emergency stocks in the missions are consistent with the EPP (Emergency Preparedness Plan) jointly with Technical Referents.
4. Follow up projects and support reporting
- Ensure timely and accurate logistical reporting is submitted by missions to analyse the fulfilment of operational and logistics objectives, and feed LogOps’ monitoring and analyses.
- Follow up, jointly with the Technical Referents, the logistical content of the projects through field visits and technical reports.
- In the case of need, support the logistical teams in the field when drafting the technical parts of reports for donors, ratifying them with his/her Deputy RECO before submitting them to the corresponding donors.
5. Participate in security management
- Ensure that logistics adjustments are coherent with the Security Guidelines in the mission.
- Sparring & contrasting with RECO and/or deputy RECO on security management and the consequences on applied practical security measures.
- Follow up that the agreed practical security measures are implemented in the field in the necessary time frame.
6. Participate in HR processes and training
- Collaborate with the REHUCO in reviewing and approving descriptions of field positions, based on job profiles.
- Collaborate with HR in the assignment of field positions.
- Participate in the support and give input on the development of LogCos when required.
- Carry out technical briefings and debriefings of logistics professionals in his/her cell, involving Technical Referents when needed, and identify individual training needs.
- Ensure that logistical teams receive technical and methodological information through briefings, specific sessions, coordinators’ weeks, technical publications, etc.
- Participate in internal and (exceptionally) external courses/information sessions imparted by MSFE/OCBA in agreement with his/her corresponding RECO.
7. Contribute to his/her Operational Cell
- Be globally acquainted with all the projects of the Operational Cell as well as the following up their evolution.
- Represent the Cell during field visits.
- Actively participate in decision-making processes within his/her Cell.
- Map & coordinate with Humanitarian logistics stakeholders influential in the region
- Map Private sectors and propose potential strategic cooperation.
- Coordinate & cooperate with the Displacement Unit in logistics related subprojects.
- Follow up and link logistics initiatives carried out by NBO ( Nairobi Branch Office)
- Manage the communication channels with the teams in the field and /or the Logistics Department, for issues that affect assigned portfolio.
- Consult support services for sparring and as technical content providers when needed.
- Participate in the logistics on-call process in HQ.
- Ensure that knowledge management policies are implemented at his/her level of responsibility
- Participate in the accountability transversal processes at his/her level of responsibility.
- University Degree in a technical area, Engineering will be an asset.
- Minimum experience of 3 years as a Logistics Coordinator.
- Experience in Emergency preparedness and response.
- Strong experience in security management.
- Field experience in technical areas such as: Supplies, Water, Hygiene and Sanitation, Cold Chain, Construction, Transportation, etc.
- Knowledge of the humanitarian context and projects.
- Fluent in English. Desirable Arabic.
- IT knowledge as advanced user.
- Good level user level of MS Office package
- Availability to travel frequently and on short notice.
- Flexibility with working hours.
- Reporting skills
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Strategic Vision
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Planning and Organising
- Initiative and Innovation
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Security Awareness and Management
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should send their curriculum vitae and cover motivation letter as a single file by 6th November 2020, under the reference ‘TELOCO 5’ through this link
Please note that MSF will only contact short-listed candidates.