Livestock & Agriculture Officer Job, NGO Jobs In Kenya 2020,
Position: Livestock & Agriculture Officer
Reports Directly To: Field Director with a dotted line to the Technical Support team’s Climate Smart Agriculture Advisor
Works Directly With:Technical Advisors (Alternative Livelihoods Advisor & Inclusive Markets Advisor), Learning Coordinator, Gender Inclusion and Social Change Officer, M&E Coordinator, Field Research Coordinator (RTI), finance and operations teams,
The Livestock & Agriculture Officer (L&AO) is directly responsible for supporting all Nawiri Livestock and Agriculture program activities at the County level. The L&AO is a broad position that includes support and county-level leadership of a variety of agriculture and livestock-related activities; including technical oversight to action research activities, turning research findings into the design of context-specific interventions, capacity strengthening of local partners, identifying opportunities for private sector partnership. This position involves considerable fieldwork monitoring, cross-sectoral collaboration, support to assessments and reporting.
- Coordinate with the different levels of County Government to mobilize actions and ensure effective communication channels.
- Coordinate with traditional leaders and community leadership to facilitate activity integration and targeting of participants.
- Lead implementation of relevant action research including coordination with target communities, support research staff with data collection, analysis and interpretation, and translation of findings into program interventions.
- Participate in learning sprints and assist in the capture of program learnings.
- In coordination with Technical Advisors, co-lead crop, livestock, poultry and milk market assessments.
- Collaborate with Nawiri health and nutrition staff to integrate messaging into crop and livestock production training curriculum.
- Design and lead TOT training sessions to Community Mobilizers in collaboration with Government counterparts.
- Support Field Director in the review of work plans and to complete necessary reports.
- Coordinate with Markets and Alternative Livelihoods team members to identify private sector partners or opportunities to for new enterprises that improve farmer access to input and output markets.
- Liaise with other project teams and staff to ensure that all Nawiri interventions are well-coordinated and prioritized;
- Monitor and evaluate effectiveness and impact of activities and make recommendations for improvements.
- Troubleshoot on reporting and programmatic needs. Advise supervisor on improvements and necessities, as required;
- Coordinate with public and private service providers (animal health, crop husbandry, etc) to reach Nawiri participants.
- Troubleshoot on reporting and programmatic needs. Advise supervisor on improvements and necessities, as required.
COMMUNITY AND COUNTY ENGAGEMENT
- Mobilize county, sub-county and ward level meetings with relevant stakeholders.
- Support the facilitation of planning meetings and workshops with government, NGO, private sector, and community partners to revise and customize implementation plans.
- Conduct community mobilization and sensitization meetings with ward and community-level leaders to introduce Nawiri and follow-up
- Engage and support county government in the WDP process and ensure their participation and integration of plans into county priorities.
- Support with collaborative partnership with other development partners and identify potential opportunities for linkage
INFLUENCE & REPRESENTATION
- Assist Field Director in activity coordination with consortium partners, sub grantees, local government and other implementers, as well as with other Mercy Corps programs
- Facilitate planning meetings and workshops with government, NGO, private sector, and community partners to revise plans and promote partner acceptance/buy-in;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission
- Work closely with the country team’s security focal point to develop and maintain systems that promote the safety and security of all team members.
- Ensure that programs are designed and implemented with a clear analysis and understanding of security.
- Keep Field Director updated with regard to the security situation in the project implementation area and provide advice as to how to manage our presence in this environment.
- Promote and adhere to the principle and objectives of the project and Mercy Corps.
- Provide written and oral translation and report writing for program staff, as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of a B.S. in an agriculture and/or agriculture related field (i.e. Agronomy, Agro-ecology, Agricultural Economics, Agriculture Education & Extension, Animal Science or Livestock Husbandry).
- An advanced degree in dryland studies preferred.
- A technical diploma plus proven experience will be considered.
- Minimum 2 to 5 years of direct implementation of agriculture and livestock development activities.
- Good spoken and written English required.
- Must be able to work independently once in the field and show initiative.
- Experience in community mobilization; needs assessment and report writing.
- Computer and basic administrative and organizational skills is a plus.
- Willingness to travel extensively throughout the project area.
How to apply
Deadline for receiving applications is 1oth November, 2020. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Turkana citizens are highly encouraged to apply.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
Mercy corps does not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process.