Search For Jobs Offers in Kenya
PROJECT: Afya Ugavi Project
General Summary and Background:
The purpose of the Afya Ugavi Project under the USAID Global Health Supply Chain Program – Procurement and Supply Management project is to address the supply chain and health commodity systems strengthening needs of the family health, malaria and HIV∕ AIDS programs within Kenya. This will be directed through technical assistance (TA) at both national and county level. The task order will support the Ministry of Health (MOH) Department of Family Health (DFH), Division of National Malaria Program (DNMP), and the National AIDS and STI Control Program (NASCOP). Afya Ugavi is implemented by Chemonics in Kenya.
The Activity’s Technical Advisor (TA) will work with a local development organization (LDO) who will be taking on the role of primary distributor for USG-funded commodities in Kenya. The TA will build the capacity at the LDO staff to manage distribution of commodities and reporting back to the USAID using data generated from the Logistics Management Information System (LMIS), strengthening skills, and recommending process improvement. The Technical Advisor will be based at the LDO offices, but is a member of Afya Ugavi team S/he will also work will also work in collaboration with Chemonics International, head office. .
S/he will also work closely with inventory and logistics management information systems team to implement enhancements and continued momentum to institutionalize the electronic logistics management information system (eLMIS) to improve data visibility and decision making. S/he will also identify, develop, and implement new mechanisms for strengthening skillsets in technical areas, including but not limited to: warehousing and inventory management, distribution, forecasting and supply planning, supportive supervision and continuous improvement at various levels of the supply chain.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
· In coordination with the Afya Ugavi Supply Chain Director, develop strategic direction for project-supported health system strengthening and supply chain management technical assistance
· Support and coordinate Afya Ugavi technical assistance with its stakeholders
· Conduct on-the-ground monitoring and use key performance indicators (KPIs) to document progress toward the achievement of the activity’s results
· Provide technical assistance to system strengthening activities and collaborate with the Afya Ugavi LMIS advisor to support supply chain improvement
· Provide strategic and operational support to Afya Ugavi staff for effective implementation of activities to strengthen supply chain performance
· Ensure effectively and timely implementation of Afya Ugavi activities in the workplan and quality of deliverables. These includes.
· Work with LDO and GOK entities to ensure that goods are imported and delivered to the LDO managed facility.
· Ensure that LDO has sufficient access to data at all times about where goods under its manageable control are, whether at the central level or while in transit to a GOK location.
· Report routinely about LDOS inventory under its control and about where stock has been distributed.
· Develop strategies with LDO to maintain or improve performance while making efficiency gains.
· Collaborate with Afya Ugavi teams to design and develop solutions to improve the use of data for decision making
· Provide technical oversight with partner activities to ensure the delivery of high-quality results in accordance with contractual specifications; ensure user compliance with contractual specifications and recommendations
· Participate and attend key technical meetings and working groups with other supply chain stakeholders, partners, donors, and the MOH, liaising with USAID and HO
· Lead the design and implementation of technical assistance and capacity building initiatives that improve the ability of the Afya Ugavi staff and HO teams to better manage the supply and distribution of priority health commodities
· Coordinate the development and adaptation of tools, guidelines, and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all assigned areas of interventions and coordinate with Afya Ugavi staff in the development and update of other materials as needed
· Organize and coordinate training programs focused on improving supply chain performance for key supply chain functional areas such as forecasting and supply planning, procurement, inventory control, warehousing and distribution, as well as management information system to ensure timely availability of logistics data for informed decision making and any other identified areas of intervention that will require interaction and coordination with various partners or organizations
· Support the implementation and operationalization of the eLMIS in consultation with the Afya Ugavi LMIS Technical Advisor
· Conduct supportive supervision and mentoring visits to various levels of the supply chain in coordination with HO teams personnel to provide on-the-job capacity building and to assess the success of technical interventions
· Work closely with other team members such as LMIS, technical, monitoring and evaluation (M&E), communication, and finance & operations to ensure effective workplan implementation fostering team building among the staff
· Assist the Supply Chain Director and Chief of Party in the development and implementation of annual work plans, M&E plans, and other reporting requirements as requested and require
· Other duties as may be assigned by the Supply Chain Director or Chief of Party
Experience, Skills and Qualifications
· Advanced professional degree in health, public health, pharmaceutical sciences, or related field, or equivalent relevant experience
· Significant experience in supply chain management and capacity building in pharmaceutical supply chain management
· Minimum 7 years’ experience in supply chain management, or project management oversight and monitoring
· Demonstrated high level of diplomacy while working with government partners at the national or county levels
· Experience within the health sector with understanding of HIV, malaria, family planning, maternal, neonatal and child health (MNCH) Experience in conducting assessments and developing key recommendations and interventions
· Previous experience in the development and delivery of training programs is preferred
· Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact professionally with a diverse staff, clients, and consultants
· Experience working with USAID-funded programs highly desirable
·· Knowledge of e-LMIS is an added advantage
· Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite Applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
· Strong logistics and organizational experience
Level of Effort and Location
This long-term position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya, with intermittent travel throughout the country and internationally when necessary.
The Technical Advisor will report to the Chief of Party.
Enter your email address below to subscribe to our newsletter