Coordinates and is responsible for implementation of conformity assessment systems based on approved specifications in import inspection through Pre–Export Verification of Conformity (PVoC) programmes in the countries of origin, inspection at the ports of entry and certification of imported products. This is to facilitate local, regional and international trade and ease of doing business while safeguarding consumer health and safety, protection of environment in line with Articles 42, 43(a, b, c & d), 46 (a, b & c) of the Constitution of Kenya and the Standards Act (Cap 496 Laws of Kenya); and entrenchment of a culture of quality for the realization of Kenya’s vision 2030, African Union Agenda 2063 and United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
Articulates Kenya’s position in regional conformity assessment fora for harmonization import inspection policies and procedures to facilitate ease of doing business across borders
Key Responsibilities / Duties / Tasks
- Managerial / Supervisory Responsibilities
- Coordinates identification and prioritization of internal/external issues and Stakeholders that can affect and are affected by the KEBS quality inspection activities through the Pre–Export Verification of Conformity (PVoC) framework and formulates competitive and emergent strategies for delivery of KEBS mandate, realization of KEBS vision, Kenya Vision 2030, African Union Agenda 2063 and United Nation’s Sustainable Development goals;
- Coordinates implementation of policies, strategies and procedures for Pre–Export Verification of Conformity (PVoC) Programme for purposes of realizing international recognition and sustain leadership in Standardization Metrology Conformity Assessment (SMCA);
- Coordinates the reporting of certifications done by PVoC Inspection Bodies and maintains a database of all certificates of conformity, registrations and licenses issued under the programme;
- Coordinates designing Pre–Export Verification of Conformity (PVoC) framework, capacity requirements for contracted inspection bodies, evaluation criteria and systems for monitoring and evaluation to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of import inspection programmes;
- Coordinates the monitoring and evaluation of service delivery of contracted inspection agencies under Pre–
- Export Verification of Conformity program and enforcement of contractual obligations to ensure imported products comply with approved specifications;
- f) Oversees the implementation of Pre–Export Verification of Conformity (PVoC) framework to prevent shipment of substandard goods, minimize economic loss to importers due to rejection of substandard goods at the ports of entry, reduce cargo dwell time; safeguard the country from unfair trade practices and safeguard the country’s national security;
- g) Coordinates generation and dissemination of information on PVOC program through public notices, workshops and seminars in order to enhance public awareness on the PVOC program;
- h) Coordinates gathering, receiving, analysing and sharing intelligence information on imported products with other local and international stakeholders for risk profiling and decision making;
- Coordinates and analyses applications for waiver of PVoC requirements and provides secretariat services for the Waivers Evaluation Technical Committee, prepares and submits a report for consideration by the Managing Director and maintains a database of all waivers;
- Coordinates handling of queries, appeals and customer complaints related to PVoC to ensure timely resolution for trade facilitation and enhanced customer satisfaction;
- k) Organizes steering and operational meetings between KEBS and contracted PVoC partners to review the performance of the program for continual improvement and address any emerging contractual and global issues;
- Coordinates and is responsible for implementation of Risk Management Framework at the division to mitigate risks that affect the realization of business objectives.
- Coordinates establishment, implementation, maintenance, monitoring & evaluation and improvement of Management systems adopted by KEBS for the purpose of ensuring efficiency and sustained customer satisfaction.
- Operational Responsibilities / Tasks
- Coordinates the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of divisional workplans, medium term expenditure framework, and procurement plans;
- b) Coordinates development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of PVoC programmes in order to facilitate trade, safeguard the health and safety of consumers and protect the environment;
- c) Guides on the targeting of imported consignments for inspection based on risk profiling framework to prevent importation of substandard, banned and concealed products from entering the Kenyan Market;
- d) Plans for inspection, organizes logistics, inspects and assesses consignments for product compliance and gives feedback to the importers and guides in implementation of corrective actions by importers whose products fail to comply with the requirements of relevant standards;
- Coordinates the preparation of the communication of the decisions of the Cabinet Secretary to the applicants and copies the respective inspection station managers informing them on the modalities with respect to implementation of the Cabinet Secretary’s decision.
- Coordinates enforcement of contractual obligations of the PVoC Inspection bodies;
- Provides technical expertise and professional advice on PVoC matters;
- Coordinates and reviews PVoC report, prepares summaries for consideration by Chief Manager, Quality Inspection;
- Coordinates tracking of payments and reconciliation of PVoC royalties;
- Approves sectional work plans to ensure suitability for implementation and monitor implementation of the work plans to establish progress in achievement of the sectional objectives;
- Reviews and approves sectional performance targets, monitors implementation, submits reports, and recommends performance rewards to the Chief Manager, Quality Inspection;
- Coordinates development of staff competencies through formal training programs, mentorship, coaching and on–the–job training to deliver divisional objectives.
- Assigns duties to staff at the station and approves leave
- Provides secretariat services to PVoC meetings;
- Assigns duties and approves leave to direct reports
Job Competencies (Knowledge, Experience and Attributes / Skills).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Technology, Engineering and mathematics (STEM).
Professional Qualifications / Membership to professional bodies
a) Registration with following professional bodies,
i. Engineers Board of Kenya,
ii. Kenya Chemical society
iii. Physical society of Kenya
iv. Food Nutrition and Dietetics Board
v. Computer Society of Kenya
vi. Kenya Institute of Management
vii. National Quality Institute
b) Gazetted Inspector
Previous relevant work experience required.
At least 8 years’ relevant experience with a minimum 3 years’ experience in a management position.
Functional Skills, Behavioral Competencies/Attributes
- a) Quality Inspection and Auditing Skills
- b) Prosecution Skills
- c) Negotiation skills
- d) Project management skills
- e) Financial management skills
- f) Management skills
- g) Information, communication, and technology skills
- h) Presentation skills
- i) Report writing
- j) Analytical skills
- Counselling skills.
- Problem solving skills
- Time management skills
- Communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
Application forms including testimonials shall be filled and submitted online via KEBS website on or before 10 September 2021. All testimonials MUST be saved with the applicant’s ID.N0. e.g.20441558_CV.pdf.
The Application should include attachments of;
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copies of Academic and Professional certificates
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations
- Tax Compliance certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission Clearance (EACC)
- Credit Reference Bureau clearance (CRB)
- Clearance certificate from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB).
IMPORTANT NOTICE; Upon successful upload and submission of the application, the applicant will receive a system-generated email notification that the job application details have been successfully submitted.
Persons with disabilities and female candidates are encouraged to apply. Academic qualifications of external origin MUST be accompanied by a recognition certificate from a relevant body.
All degree applicants for engineering-related positions must be Registered as a Graduate engineer where applicable.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Interested and qualified? Go to Kenya Bureau of Standards on www.kebs.org to apply