Assistant Technician (Testing Laboratory) Job, Technical Jobs in Kenya 2021,
Reports to: Principal Laboratory Analyst
The job is responsible for testing of samples in laboratory and onsite inspection using specialized measurement techniques and equipment/tools/instruments to check compliance to existing standards, company supplied methods and laboratory developed test methods in line with the requirements of ISO/IEC 17025.
Key Responsibilities/ Duties / Tasks
- I. Managerial / Supervisory Responsibilities
- IOperational Responsibilities / Tasks
- Performs sampling and preparation of samples for analysis as specified in test methods protocols and requirements of international standards
- Conducts chemical, biological, and engineering measurement/testing for standards development, product conformity assessment, product certification and industry applications to ascertain product characteristics and conformance to legal, statutory, and contractual requirements
- Provides input in preparation of test reports/certificates by entering obtained test results in the Laboratory Information Management System
- Performs tests on intra–laboratory comparisons organized in the division as a quality assurance and control measure to ensure validity of results.
- Performs scheduled in–house maintenance, calibration and intermediate checks and monitoring on assigned equipment in order to maintain accuracy of measurements.
- Prepares and standardizes solutions, materials and reagents used in laboratory
- Maintains laboratory Quality System by carrying out assigned corrections and corrective actions arising from internal and external audits and assessments.
- Provides data for use in performing calculations on specific contributors to overall uncertainties based on identified budget
- Implements individual training programs as approved by laboratory management to ensure systematic personal development and delivery of testing services.
- Maintains laboratory safety standards by adhering to occupational health and safety policies with reference to testing of products and materials to meet the requirement of occupational health safety standard
- Receives samples and documents predetermined details, maintain a trail of sample status within the laboratory
- Takes part in internal and external quality systems assessments and audits
- Prepares and submits individual weekly and monthly performance reports outlining the extent of adherence to set targets and plans
I. Financial Responsibility
- Responsibility for Physical Assets
- Responsible for assigned physical assets in the laboratory section/unit including equipment and standards estimated at KES 3 Million
- Decision Making / Job Influence
- Makes decisions using standard operating procedures
Works occasionally in the office and predominantly within in the laboratory with exposure to chemical, electrical, mechanical, radiation and biological hazards;
Job Competencies (Knowledge, Experience, and Attributes / Skills).
- Diploma/Higher Diploma in Science, Technology, Engineering
- Professional Qualifications / Membership to professional bodies
- ISO/IEC 17025 Implementation certification
- Personnel certification in Non–destructive testing
Previous relevant work experience required.
Functional Skills, Behavioral Competencies/Attributes
- Sample preparation techniques
- Basic statistics (mean, standard deviation, variance) to calculate and interpret data and conduct statistical analysis
- Laboratory quality management system (ISO 17025)
- Chemical spill clean–up procedures and hazard management plan
- Safety procedures and ability to store and handle chemicals safely
- IT skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Communication Skills
- Report writing skills
How To Apply
Application forms including testimonials shall be filled and submitted online via KEBS website on or before 10 September 2021. All testimonials MUST be saved with the applicant’s ID.N0. e.g.20441558_CV.pdf.
The Application should include attachments of;
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copies of Academic and Professional certificates
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations
- Tax Compliance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission Clearance (EACC)
- Credit Reference Bureau clearance (CRB)
- Clearance certificate from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB).
IMPORTANT NOTICE; Upon successful upload and submission of the application, the applicant will receive a system-generated email notification that the job application details have been successfully submitted.
Persons with disabilities and female candidates are encouraged to apply. Academic qualifications of external origin MUST be accompanied with a recognition certificate from a relevant body.
All degree applicants for engineering-related positions must be registered as a Graduate Engineer where applicable.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Interested and qualified? Go to Kenya Bureau of Standards on www.kebs.org to apply