Legal Affairs Assistant Manager Job, Latest Legal Jobs,
Department: Legal Affairs and Board Secretariat
KDIC Grade: KDIC 6
You will coordinate matters to deal with defence and prosecution of court matters on behalf of the Corporation. Further the job coordinates Board Secretariat, Corporate governance, legal research to ensure compliance with laws, regulations, circulars and directives applicable within the Corporation’s sphere of operations. The job also provides legal guidance and direct support to the Liquidator (Liquidation Agents) in the management of the liquidation process and litigation portfolio.
Managerial and Supervisory
- Oversee development, design and supervision of a robust and seamless system for well coordinated interactions and information sharing between the in-house Advocates and liquidation agents for purposes of offering continuous guidance and value addition to the liquidation of troubled institutions.
- Coordinating the provision of Legal Advisory Services to the Institutions in Liquidation on matters legal, Regulatory and Compliance .
- Guiding in the process of sale and realization of securities and pursuit of debtors to maximise on monies recovered and payment to depositors.
- Coordinate the function of litigation (court attendance) for matters in the Chief Magistrates Court
- Receiving, reviewing and analyzing legal queries from the Liquidation Agents and addressing straight forward ones while progressing complex and strategically important ones to the relevant seniors in the department as the case may be.
- Monitor the implementation of performance management of the Senior Officer within Legal Affairs and Board Secretariat department.
- Coordinate the development of departmental risks and opportunities register and providing updates to the Manager Legal Affairs.
- Coordinate the function of legal awareness to the corporation and its staff on varied issues.
- Supervise the Implementation of the Departmental Work Plan by the Senior Officers.
- Overseeing the management of the corporation’s court diarized activities.
- Developing departmental policies and Procedures while aligning them to international and local laws and regulations to ensure a conducive business environment devoid of liability.
- Provides Secretarial Services to the Committees of the Board by drafting preparing the Board Agenda, Board Calendar, Recording and distributing minutes of the Board and facilitating the dissemination of Board Action points.
- Drafting Board Committee Policies and Procedures for guidance to Board members as they execute their mandate and to aid seamless Board operations.
- Facilitating the evaluation of Board members by collecting relevant documentation and arranging associated logistics.
- Collate regular reports to the Board on matters related to the general running of the Corporation, member institutions and institutions under Resolution;
- Compile and analyse responses to Board action points from departmental heads.
- Preparing and maintaining the minutes arising from Board Committee meetings and circulating them for review by the Deputy General Manager – Legal Affairs and Board Secretary and subsequent approval as per the approved policies.
- Coordinating the induction and training Board Committee members and appraising them on their roles and functions in line with the Corporation’s strategic direction.
- Drafting Board/Committee Action points arising from board committee sittings and forwarding them to the Deputy General Manager – Legal Affairs and Board Secretary for review and approval.
- Undertaking research on topical legal issues and updating the legal corprate knowledge bank.
- Drafting legal opinions to improve the corporations legal knowledge and level of compliance with laws, regulations and policies.
- Provide of Legal Advisory Services to the Institutions in liquidation on matters legal, Regulatory and Compliance
- Undertaking the induction and training of staff within the Legal Affairs and Board Secretariat Department.
- Drafting of Legal Advisories and opinions to Senior-Management and Management Committees on identified topical issues.
- Tracking & Monitoring the Senior Legal officers’ achievement of departmental objectives and ensuring that they are in line with the Strategic Plan.
- Developing and updating departmental reports on matters performance management for the Officers and submitting the same for review by the Deputy General Manager – Legal Affairs and Board Secretary.
- Guides the development of departmental reports on the implementation and maintenance of the Quality Management System.
- Prosecutes and Defends matters before the Court of Appeal, Supreme Court or Arbitration proceedings on matters that are complex in nature or whose pecuniary value is above Kes. 20 Million but below Kes. 100 Million.
- Prepare reports on the status of the case management system, which includes updates form external legal counsels, for court matters in Liquidation and before the High Court.
- Review the reporting of status updates and implementation of the case management system, which includes updates form external legal counsels, for court matters before the Chief Magistrates Courts.
- Conducting Pre-trial briefs for matters before Court to ensure efficient representation of the corporation and/or institutions position.
- Reviewing and recommending discharge of securities for institutions in liquidation.
- Prepare documents for Sealing of discharge of securities for institutions in Liquidation.
- Drafts the tools and sensitization material for implementing stakeholder engagement in the review of legislative amendments.
- Review of reports compiled on areas for review on legislation affecting the operations of the corporation.
- Coordinate the function of contract management, handled by the Officers, which includes, the drafting, review, amendment, sealing and execution of contracts to ensure the interest of the corporation is protected and that value for money is maximised.
- Preparing final Debt Negotiations and Asset Recovery proposals for Board approval to maximise recovery for payment of Depositors.
- Implement the management system of External Legal Counsel for institutions in Liquidation, which includes the appointment, assessment and payment of fees and review of matters, handled external legal counsels.
- Monitoring the effectiveness of departmental internal controls to ensure that they are properly aligned to overall mandate of the institute.
- Monitoring the implementation of departments Strategic plan to ensure full compliance
- Bachelor’s degree in Law (LLB) from a recognized institution;
- Master’s degree in Law from a recognized institution would be an added advantage;
- Diploma in Law (KSL) and Advocate of the High Court;
- Membership of LSK
- Six (6) years’ relevant experience preferably in Banking, Financial management, Conveyancing, Litigation, Board secretariat experience and strong regulatory and compliance experience.
- Proficiency in computing skills,
- Communication and Presentation skills,
- Organizational skills,
- Project management skills,
- Financial management skills,
- Change management skills,
- Strategic management skills
- Coaching and mentoring skills
- Thorough knowledge of litigation strategies, court processes and practice.
- Prosecution skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Negotiating skills and capacity to work with other non-legal professionals to develop innovative solutions to conflicting interests and positions;
- Problem-solving skills
- Time management skills
How to Apply
Apply for the job here
Interested candidates, who MUST be Kenyan citizens, should submit their applications including copies of their academic and professional certificates, a copy of the National Identity Card or valid Passport, an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) detailing current position, qualifications, working experience, current and expected salary, a working email and a daytime telephone number. The CV should also include the email and telephone contacts of three (3) professional referees who can speak on your competence, character and integrity.
Other Key Requirements
Shortlisted candidates MUST present and satisfy the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 during the interviews by providing original copies of the following documents:
- A Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI);
- A Clearance Certificate from the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB);
- A Tax Compliance Certificate from the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA);
- Clearance certificates from the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) i.e. Completed First Schedule (s.13) and a self-declaration form; and
- A Clearance Certificate from an Approved Credit Reference Bureau (CRB) in Kenya.
N.B: Looking For A New Job? Find Your Next Job With Us. Click Here To Register Your CV. It’s Free.