Search For Jobs Offers in Kenya
Jhpiego is a nonprofit global leader in the creation and delivery of transformative health care solutions for the developing world. In partnership with national governments, health experts and local communities, we build health providers’ skills and we develop systems that save lives now and guarantee healthier futures for women and their families. Our aim is revolutionizing health care for the planet’s most disadvantaged people.
Jhpiego is implementing the Impact Malaria (IM) project which is funded by USAID/PMI to provide implementation support and technical assistance for malaria service delivery in health facility and community settings in order to meet Kenya’s goal of reducing malaria mortality and morbidity by 75% of the 2016 levels by 2023. IM is doing this by working in close collaboration with the Division of National Malaria Program (DNMP) of the Ministry of Health (MOH) and eight county departments of health from the malaria lake endemic region i.e. Bungoma, Busia, Homabay, Kakamega, Kisumu, Migori, Siaya, and Vihiga to strengthen malaria case management and prevention of malaria in pregnancy.
We are seeking an experienced individual with excellent organizational and technical skills, who is a team player, dedicated, hardworking, innovative, highly motivated and able to work in a high-pressure environment requiring multi-tasking abilities.
MONITORING, EVALUATION, RESEARCH & LEARNING (MERL) ADVISOR – IMPACT MALARIA (Nairobi Office)
The IM MERL Advisor will be responsible for all Monitoring Evaluation Research and Learning (MERL) activities in the whole of IM project. MERL Advisor will provide leadership in the project monitoring and evaluation unit specifically, in the development of the M&E framework, monitoring of project implementation, reporting of the key project indicators, and take the lead in promoting and spearheading all research and learning activities of the project. S/he will lead M&E capacity building for the project partners, technical reporting, data quality assurance, and building the capacity for the implementation of an effective M&E/HMIS system.
Position Reports to the Chief of Party and will receive general guidance from the Jhpiego Monitoring and Research Director. Position supervises, MERL Officer.
· Work with CHMTs in the focus counties to strengthen reporting of IM indicators in the focus 8 lake malaria endemic counties
· Provide on-the-job training and mentorship of the County and sub-county HRIOs and technical staff to improve timeliness and accuracy of reporting and uploading of data into KHIS
· Work with the CHMTs, sub-county HMTs and relevant technical staff in the focus counties to improve the quality of data and increase its utilization for programming and decision making at the various levels in the focus counties
· Provide leadership in program management and supervision of field staff, ensure timely program implementation, planning, development and management activities function smoothly and efficiently
· Support development of county annual work plans
· Work closely with the IM technical team and the Jhpiego MER Director to seamlessly manage the project’s reporting requirements
· Provide leadership in the preparation of monthly, quarterly, annual or other requested reports for timely sharing with the respective county MOH leadership, project’s donor and other key stakeholders/partners
· Provide technical oversight and guidance in all aspects of the project monitoring, evaluation and research
· Contribute to strategic planning, implementation and monitoring of the MERL activities of the project
· Develop tools and strategies to improve evidence based programming
· Contribute in the preparation and implementation of project’s work plans and technical quarterly and annual reports to the project and its funding agencies
· Compile and analyse data for performance monitoring and evaluation to allow the project team to have a good overview of project performance.
· Coordinate with project and other partner staff in the implementing counties to create, test, and refine relevant M&E frameworks for effective collection, storage and use of service provision data
· Work with program officers in producing and maintaining up-to-date project management and monitoring tables
· Assist in gathering technical updates on program planning, monitoring, evaluation and research
· Develop and maintain a system for archiving M&E guidelines, tools, data files, analysis files, reports and presentations for each major activity undertaken
· Facilitate on-the-job MERL training for capacity development, especially in the area of use of data for decision making
· A Master’s degree in M&E, computer science, statistics, epidemiology, or a public health-related field
· 8 years of work experience working in monitoring and evaluation for public health projects
· Extensive experience in monitoring and evaluation and health information management system
· Excellent analytical, oral presentation, report writing, and interpersonal skills
· Knowledge of KHIS including developing dashboards.
· Computer literacy, particularly in the use of SPSS and MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Access
· Individuals with the following experience will have an added advantage; Working in malaria or related field, working in malaria research field, working with MOH systems and personnel & Working in USAID-funded projects
· Proven computer skills in Word Access, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, SPSS;
· Basic monitoring and evaluation principles and procedures;
· The programmatic, administrative, and financial skills needed to develop M&E Plans, HMIS formats, and workplans;
· Basic knowledge of office regulations and of financial and administration systems in an international NGO setting;
· Basic understanding of malaria related issues;
· Proficiency in both written and spoken English and Kiswahili.
· Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform
· Ability and willingness to learn;
· Excellent communication, presentation and writing skills;
· Excellent skills in facilitation, team building and coordination;
· Experience in public speaking and professional presentations;
· Field oriented and comfortable with a team approach to programming;
· Ability to manage several major activities simultaneously;