Search For Jobs Offers in Kenya
Position Title : Head of Sub Office
Duty Station : Kakuma, Kenya
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Head of Programme and Policy Development and with technical guidance from Resettlement Migration Management Operations Department and Migration Health Departments in Kenya, the incumbent will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Law, Business Administration, Migration Studies, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience
• Five years management/supervisory experience in working with resettlement programmes particularly USRAP; with supervisory experience in administrative, human resources and financial management;
• Experience in Programme management, emergency operations and refugee and migration related issues;
• Experience in project management in the field of migration;
• Experience in liaising with Government authorities, other national/international institutions;
• Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities, as well as, with National and international institutions;
• Previous experience working with IOM and with UN specialized agencies an advantage;
• Experience in preparing clear and concise reports.
• Sound knowledge of migration management principles, concepts and techniques;
• Demonstrated expertise in post-conflict /emergency operations.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written).
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Enter your email address below to subscribe to our newsletter