Search For Jobs Offers in Kenya
Position Title : Procurement and Logistics Officer (Joint Initiative Programme (JI))
Duty Station : Nairobi, Kenya
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 23 March 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Launched in December 2016 with funding from the European Union Emergency Trust Fund for Africa (S), the EU-IOM Joint Initiative on Migrant Protection and Reintegration (JI) is the first comprehensive programme to save lives, protect and assist migrants along key migration routes in Africa. It enables migrants who decide to return to their countries of origin to do so in a safe and dignified way, and to help them restart their lives in their countries of origin. This is done through an integrated approach to reintegration that supports both migrants and their communities. The Joint Initiative covers and closely cooperates with 26 African countries in the Horn of Africa, the Sahel and Lake Chad, and North Africa.
In the Horn of Africa, the Joint Initiative (JI-HoA) commenced in March 2017 with an overall objective to contribute to facilitating orderly, safe, regular and rights-based migration through the facilitation of dignified voluntary return and the implementation of development-focused and sustainable reintegration policies and processes.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Regional Resources Management Officer (SRRMO), the direct supervision of the Regional Finance Officer, and in close coordination with the Joint Initiative Senior Regional Programme Coordinator, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for the Procurement and Logistics functions of the regional Joint Initiative programme.
The incumbent will coordinate with the Global Procurement and Supply Unit (GPSU) and seek technical support to ensure effective and efficient procurements, taking into account the operating context inherent risks and compliance to the highest ethical standards and code of conducts. IOM procurement and supply chain activities are guided by the general principles of:
Best Value for Money;
Accountability, Integrity and Transparency;
Fairness and effective Competition; and,
Best Interest of IOM.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Supply Chain Management, Management or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in managing diverse procurement and logistics operations; and,
• Demonstrated experience in training and managing large teams of co-workers, managing vendors and suppliers.
• Extensive knowledge of IOM/UN internal procurement and financial rules, as well as IOM’s system and processes as they apply to procurement and logistics;
• Excellent level of computer literacy and good knowledge of SAP is an advantage;
• Ability to supervise staff, provide oversight, and coordinate administrative activities;
• Good knowledge of MS Office products, specifically Excel, and good computer literacy skills required; and,
• Knowledge of IOM accounting systems, software (SAP) and procedures or that of similar international non-for-profit organizations a distinct advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country and who do not have prior experience outside the duty station’s country as staff member in the Professional category cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
Enter your email address below to subscribe to our newsletter