Search For Jobs Offers in Kenya
Position Title : Associate Project Development and Policy Officer
Duty Station : Nairobi, Kenya
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Kenya Country Office, and the direct supervision of the Head of Mission Support and Innovation Unit, the successful candidate will oversee the work of Project Development and Policy in close collaboration with other relevant colleagues in Kenya Country Office (KCO) and will provide technical and programmatic support for project development and related activities carried out in KCO.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political, Social Science, Business Administration, International Relations, Law, Security Studies, Law Enforcement or a related field, from an accredited academic institution with minimum of two years’ relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with minimum of four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in project management, implementation, and monitoring programme activities;
• Proven experience in general fundraising, writing project proposals and reports;
• Experience in project development, including clarifying baseline, strategic project designing, drafting a proposal and budgeting;
• Experience in establishing and maintaining good working relationships with IOM Offices, governmental, diplomatic authorities, UN agencies, and civil society; and,
• Experience working in East and Horn of Africa region is an advantage.
• Knowledge and familiarity with programming and cross cutting areas such as in crisis or post conflict environments;
• Familiarity with the current political contexts of Kenya/East Africa an advantage;
• In depth knowledge of Project Development and Migration Policy;
• Coordination and liaison skills between Mission’s units in implementing the programme; and,
• Good report writing skills or regular briefs and donor reports or concept notes.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
Enter your email address below to subscribe to our newsletter