CARE International is an organization driven by its mission to overcome poverty and social injustice. We currently work in over 93 countries with a focus on women and girls as the most disproportionately affected by poverty, while engaging men and boys as well. CARE’s East, Central and Southern Africa Regional Office (ECSARO) is responsible for the oversight of CARE’s operations in the region as well as the provision of support to Country Offices in the region. We are looking for a bright, dynamic, innovative and resourceful person to join the team in the capacity of Regional Human Resource Assistant to be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
CARE USA Core Values Commitment:
The core Values Commitment describes who we are, what we do, and how we do it. It reflects our core values of TRANSFORMATION, INTEGRITY, DIVERSITY, EQUALITY, and EXCELLENCE, which serve as a foundation for all what we do. The core Values Commitment articulates our shared expectations of each other including our board, staff, volunteers, interns, partners and contractors globally.
The Human Resources Assistant is a temporary post and will support the East, Central and Southern Africa Regional Office on all HR Operations related matters
Duties and Responsibilities
HR Operational Support
- Provide day-to-day benefits administration
- Ensures that all staff are aware of medical entitlements / services provided and issued with medical cards.
- Terminating an employee upon exit within 48 hours
- Facilitate timely renewal of staff medical, GPA and GLA benefits.
- Periodically participate in staff salary, benefit surveys, and inform the Finance and Operations Manager on market trends.
- Manages contracts and SLAs with the medical service providers and ensures that high quality service is offered, payments made in good time and statements are reconciled.
- Keep an accurate account of leave, gratuity and bonus accruals for remuneration related implications;
- Ensure compliance with statutory regulations and CARE policies and flag and address non-compliance
- Submission of regular statutory returns and reports
Coordinate recruitment and selection process in liaison with Finance and Ops Assistant for national positions ensuring compliance to CARE recruitment procedures and best practices, while maintaining high level of integrity and professionalism:
- Uploading job adverts in relevant websites and or liaise with SSU Procurement for newspaper adverts
- Assist in long listing process as requested;
- Ensure all recruitment logistics such as scheduling interviews, preparation of appropriate interview documents and liaising with candidates
- Participate on interview panels when required;
- Conduct reference checks for selected candidates;
- Inform job applicants on status of their application;
- Maintain tracking system and full documentation of recruitment processes.
- Prepare job offers for successful candidates and contract letters
- Formulate, update and coordinate effective implementation of new staff orientation
- Carry out staff exit interviews and provide useful information for decision making when required.
- Coordinate clearance of exiting staff
Performance & Talent Management
- Coordinate the performance management and appraisal calendar the administration of the annual performance management process for the Regional Office
- Assist in identifying training and development needs of the RMU national staff recommending appropriate interventions.
- Champion CARE training and learning sites like CARE Academy and the Village
Human Resource Systems Management
- Enrolling staff in IHRS and maintaining personal and job related records
- Train users on the IHRS navigation and usage
- Update and disseminate HR policies and procedures at the Regional Office and ensure consistent understanding and application of policies and compliance with statutory regulations
- Proactively identify and handle employee relations issues with a focus on conflict resolution. Ensure employee disciplinary processes are policy driven and uphold fairness and justice to employees
Work Permits, Special passes and Visa Processing
- In close collaboration with the Immigration consultant make applications for expatriate work permits and special passes
- Arrange for visas, work permits, dependent’s passes and other documentation for all international staff
- Keep tracker of the staff work permit and special passes and share information with concerned parties.
- Provide timely updates on any changes in work permit applications processes at NGO Board and Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Immigration
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Human Resource Management, Business Administration or similar field from a recognized institution
- Possess a Professional Qualification in Human Resource Management and be a member in good standing of Institute of Human Resources Management Kenya.
- Minimum Two (2) years’ experience in general HR management in a similar role. Previous work experience with an international NGO is an advantage.
- Familiarity with Kenya Employment Act,
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing, coupled with the professional credibility required to influence and motivate others to achieve results
- Demonstrate high integrity and maintained of strict confidentiality
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and ability to use the internet to obtain data and reference materials.
- Proven ability to plan, organize and prioritize work, together with the ability to remain calm under pressure often in difficult circumstances and not lose sight of operational priorities.
- Competence in numeracy is essential.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential