Head of Credit Job, Current Banking Vacancies In Kenya,
HFC Limited, an integrated property and financial solutions provider has an exciting opportunity in our Credit Division. We are seeking for talented, dynamic, self-driven and results oriented individual who is committed to performance excellence and participating in our growth strategy.
Head of Credit
Reporting To: Managing Director – HFC
Overall Job Purpose
The Head of Credit will be responsible for developing and implementing strategy, policies and procedures that promote efficient and effective risk and control environment and protects the credit portfolio, He/She will be responsible for provision of Management Information System for measurement, reporting, monitoring, limiting and analysis of risk while ensuring compliance to CBK prudential guidelines.
- Continuous review of the Bank’s Lending Strategy, Policy and establishment of a regime of controls and disciplines that ensures compliance with lending principles and guidelines laid down in the Credit Policy Document.
- Continually review portfolio measures; including industry limits, tenor limits, risk rating, NPLs, risk acceptance criteria, and credit risk matrices.
- Analysis of appropriate Management Information Systems on Credit Risk, discretionary credit authorities, documentation exceptions, line excesses, Banking Act compliance, defaults and expired limits and initiation of remedial action as necessary
- Ensuring that provisioning policies are in line with the Bank’s Credit Policy Document, comply with Banking Act provisions and co-ordinate with Finance Division to ensure appropriate provisions and interest suspensions are effected in the Bank’s accounting systems.
- Management of the Credit Appraisal system, ensuring that appropriate reviews of Credit proposals are undertaken on a timely basis.
- Management of Credit approval processes by recommending suitable decisions and discretions.
- Ensure continued maintenance of a quality loan portfolio in line with the Bank’s standards as stipulated in policy guidelines while minimizing the risk of losses.
- Implementation of new and effective dimensions on portfolio risk management especially in line with the Bank’s growth strategy.
- Implementation of automated processes to minimize manual interventions thereby increasing efficiencies in delivery of credit products at both personal and corporate lending levels. Implementation of suitable on-line credit approval systems to enhance efficiency while monitoring and ensuring service level agreements.
- Develop, provide and/or facilitate ongoing training, coaching and mentoring of staff to address identified skill gaps right from personal banking to complex corporate lending.
- Carry out industry and sector economic survey at a macro-economic level and provide statistical data thereof for senior management information on a need basis and more regularly to relevant departments.
- Ensuring agreed remedial actions for NPL relationships at minimal cost.
- Give guidance and advice on all Credit Risk Management, Administration and Policy related issues for the Bank.
- Approving certain extensions of credit as required by these policies. Ensuring material policy exceptions are escalated for approval by the Board Credit Committee.
- Give guidance on credit strategy, appropriateness of staffing levels and talent hiring within the bank’s business plan.
Minimum Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience
- University degree or equivalent preferably in finance related field from an accredited institution and relevant professional qualifications in banking, Risk Management, Credit Management or accounting.
- Experience, awareness and appreciation of all aspects of financial analysis in a busy and dynamic financial institution.
- Strong understanding of operational, legal and credit risk across the full range of industries.
- Knowledge of Risk Rating Models and Basel II.
- 10 years experience in Credit Risk Management, 3 being at a senior level, and exposure to modern risk management and portfolio management tools.
- Knowledge of banking products and New and Evolving Technology systems.
- Skills and training in leadership
Key Competencies and Skills
- Ability to translate the bank’s corporate strategy into departmental business plans and operationalize the same through a focused performance management regime.
- Knowledge of all lending products (both local and international) and the level of complexity inherent in those products.
- Ability to evaluate position of solvency of a business and prudent decisions against credit application.
- Ability to develop credit policies in the Financial Services sector.
- Ability to present, communicate and effect essential changes to improve credit management in the Bank in line with emerging micro and macro financial developments.
- Proven leadership and people management skills with a high level of commitment and enthusiasm.
- Good communication, negotiation and presentation skills.
How to Apply
10 November 2022