Health & Nutrition Officer Jobs, Nutrition Jobs 2020, Save The Children Jobs,
Under the general guidance and direction of the Field Health and Nutrition Advisor, the health and nutrition officer will support implementation of all health and nutrition activities in the field. Implement and monitor health and nutrition activities of the NAWIRI project. Coordinate and work closely with County departments responsible for both health/nutrition specific and sensitive interventions, local partners, and communities. Lead implementation of all health and nutrition activities of the project, prepare reports and build capacity of the County staff and respective local communities. Promote best practices in health and nutrition programmes and contribute to the overall success of the NAWIRI project. Oversee implementation of health and nutrition activities at Sub – County level.
Key Areas Of Accountability
Strategic Planning and Programme Development
- Familiarise with NAWIRI’s implementation strategy as informed by phase 1(Learning and research phase). Specifically, support implementation of the Health and Nutrition component of the NAWIRI strategy and ensure that nutrition-sensitive strategies and approaches are integrated into other thematic strategies.
- Build on technical knowledge and understanding of the operations related to nutrition policy and services in Kenya, and how these policies can best work for the needs and peculiarities of Turkana and Samburu Counties.
- Ensure that programme activities support and demonstrate good practice in Child Safeguarding
- Using a Child Rights Programming lens, ensure that NAWIRI health and nutrition programme is built around the Theory of Change and is regularly monitored.
Advocacy and Policy Development
- Actively participate in the development, review, dissemination and operationalisation of County level policies, legislation, strategies and other initiatives and developments by government and other stakeholders relating to nutrition, health, WASH and/or food security issues.
- Regularly assess and update management about any changes in the operating environment relevant to NAWIRI project and Save the Children’s priorities.
- Support development of the County health and nutrition strategy and implementation plan including dissemination of nutrition advocacy messages for the NAWIRI project.
- Monitor implementation of nutrition – related components of the advocacy strategy in the County.
- Ensure visibility of the project in the field through participation and sharing of evidence, learning and recommendations from NAWIRI work in technical forums and meetings held at Sub – County level.
- H/She will also pro- actively engage with other implementing partners during coordination meetings.
- Monitor and provide timely, relevant, accurate input on overall technical aspects of NAWIRI Health and nutrition programme work in Turkana/Samburu.
- Work closely with other programme staff and consortium partners to ensure effective sequencing, layering and integration.
- Provide relevant technical training and support to the County staff on IMAM, MIYCN, C4D,KAP, nutrition surveys and monitoring and evaluation, as required.
- Prepare quality activity report to the Field Health and Nutrition Advisor to facilitate timely submission of technical progress performance reports that are of acceptable quality to the Health and Nutrition Lead.
- Provide input during selection of partners and training of partners on health and nutrition.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- In collaboration with field – based M&E staff, ensure there is adherence to the project M&E framework.
- Participate in collaborate, learn, and adapt (CLA) activities of the programme to ensure all NAWIRI interventions are working towards addressing persistent acute malnutrition.
- Routinely monitor child safeguarding issues in the programme and take corrective actions such as modifying programme activities and/or report incidents, when required
- Support timely dissemination of programme findings and lessons learned to key stakeholders at Sub – County level
- Collect complaints and feedback during field activities and ensure that these are shared with MEAL officers for updating of the CFRM database.
- Participate actively in PDQ programme meetings, planning and review activities, providing enhanced insight into nutrition programming.
- Actively participate in key relevant internal meetings such as Programme Review Meetings or Area-based meetings as required. Participate in any donor visit to project(s) within the country office portfolio, as required.
Contract Duration: 12 Months (with possibility of extension)
Number of Vacancies: 2
Work Location: Lodwar and Maralal
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Nutrition and Nursing (preferred), or other related health sciences.
- At least 5 years demonstrated experience in implementation of health and nutrition programmes with preference given to nutrition programming in arid and semi-arid land (ASAL) settings.
- Excellent understanding of the nutrition sector within the Kenyan context, particularly maternal, newborn and child nutrition issues including system approach to ending persistent acute malnutrition.
- Clear understanding of nutrition resilience, hunger and food security issues in Kenya, particularly in the context of Turkana and Samburu counties.
- Strong commitment to capacity building of county staff and partners with willingness to adopt a participatory and consultative approaches.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels with County government, local partners and community members while taking into consideration cultural and language difficulties.
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to take initiative and challenge existing mindsets.
- Excellent written and verbal skills in English, with ability to draft quality reports. Excellent verbal skills in Swahili; Knowledge of the local language and context will be a distinct advantage
- Attention to detail, accuracy and timeliness in execution of assigned responsibilities
- Ability to work in challenging and changing environment, and to see through challenges to find solutions.
- Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies.
- Qualified candidate from Turkana and Samburu counties are encouraged to apply.
- Commitment to Save the Children values, including willingness to abide by and enforce the Child Safeguarding policy.
How To Apply
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best-qualified talent.