Health & Nutrition Technical Manager Job, Current NGO Jobs,
Job Title : Health & Nutrition Technical Manager
Reporting to : Program Effectiveness & Impact Director
Grade Level : 17
Work Location : Nairobi
To provide leadership and management to Health and Nutrition program within the Integrated Heath and WAH Technical Program (TP) that successfully supports World Vison Kenya’s efforts to promote Child wellbeing in a secure environment through evidence based quality programing for enhanced child wellbeing outcomes (CWBO) in line with World Vision Kenya strategy
Technical Leadership and Management 25%
- Provide leadership in the designing and adaptation of the Health and Nutrition Programing in the National Office
- Provide leadership in the management and implementation of the Health and Nutrition Programing
- In collaboration with the finance unit, ensure planning and budgeting, project funding, expenditures and process are aligned and operating smoothly.
- Contextualize technical standards to be adhered to by all implementing staff and partners
- Approve the technical detailed implementation plans from the Area Programs
- Prepare and produce technical program reports for dissemination to various stakeholders
- Review and approve all the technical reports regularly prepared from the field
- Work closely with MEAL unit to develop practical tools in monitoring and evaluation of the health and nutrition technical area
- Develop operating business plan for the technical area in collaboration with the other technical managers and departments
Monitoring, Accountability and Innovation 20%
- Work with the MEAL function to ensure quality programming, innovative designs, monitoring, evaluation, reflection, learning and reporting of all projects in the health and nutrition technical programing
- Promote research, documentation and scaling up of best practices
- Ensure the development of the TP capacity to focus strategically on initiatives which generate high quality programing leading to measurable and sustainable development
- Ensure proper management and stewardship of donor and organizational resources
- Ensure that findings and recommendations from various accountability mechanisms such as Peer Review, Operational and Finance Audits, Program evaluations, Program Capability Review, are acted upon in a timely and effective manner
- Develop departmental risk register, ensure its implementation to mitigate risks and ensure accountability
- Monitor the implementation of the TPs audit recommendations
Donor Engagement and Fund raising 20%
- Donor Engagement and Fund raising
- In collaboration with RAM, develop and market quality capacity statements, concepts and proposals, to increase funding portfolio for the technical program and related grants
- In coordination with RAM Department develop annual growth plans for the technical program area in line with the NO strategy
- In collaboration with RAM, actively engage in funding negotiations with support offices and donors in alignment with Regional Grants Acquisition & Management Strategy & the Regional Working Group Decisions
- Reach out to, and engage with, current and potential donors and pursue new funding opportunities
- Provide advice on donor management (government/private donors and support offices) ensuring proper resolutions
- Provide support to RAM in responding to appropriate request for applications for bilateral and multilateral sources in coordination with relevant SOs and management of grant funded program
- Actively participate in the “Go / No-go” decision making process and ensure that all risks are addressed consistently
Collaboration and Advocacy 15%
- Develop and maintain a national level Stakeholder Register, (that include Strategic Government Departments, Development Partners, Private Sector, Faith Based Organizations, Civil Society Organizations)
- Develop and implement a Stakeholder Engagement plan and maintain good relationships with all targeted stakeholders
- Utilize evidence from the field to develop Quality position papers, engagement briefs, policy briefs and budget briefs
- Represent the organization in high level technical working groups and sector working groups, that focus on child wellbeing issues and influence decisions being made in such platforms
- Lead the linkages and engagement of staff and partners in networks and coalitions that promote improved sustainable wellbeing of most vulnerable children in Kenya,
- Lead the linkages of TP specific advocacy issues from the National level to International levels
- Maintain effective communications and pro-active relationships with Support Office partners, including visits by donors.
- In coordination with the Senior Management Team ensure implementation of Partnership initiatives, capacity building of national office staff and knowledge sharing within the NO.
- In the spirit of twin citizenship, contribute to knowledge sharing and collaborative learning through internal avenues such annual reflection forum
Staff capacity development and performance management 10%
- Model a high standard of personal Christian leadership, ministry and integrity through lifestyle and work relationships that support spiritual development of the team.
- In close collaboration with P&C, ensure right program staff are recruited, retained, and provided with intentional opportunities, mentoring and coaching for development.
- Assess and plan for staff capacities/competencies.
- Engage appropriate SMEs for identified training gaps
- Facilitate capacity building of staff on technical modules, through trainings, workshops, OJT, technical backstopping etc.
- Staff supervision and guidance to ensure overall quality and comprehensive management of technical program
Safeguarding and F&D integration 5%
- Ensuring alignment to safeguarding of program activities
- Support F&D integration
- Ensure safeguarding training and orientation for all sector partners including community level
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Medicine, Bachelor in Nursing or related health sciences
- Master’s in Public, Epidemiology or Sexually & Reproductive Health / Maternal and Child Health, Nutrition or any other related health/nutrition specialties. PhD in Public Health or Management.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience of progressive leadership in health programs with a thorough understanding of all areas of project management cycles in a complex, international development organization especially in development and Relief Projects. 5 years should have been at a managerial level.
- Demonstrated track record in proposal development, funding acquisitions and grant management for major government donors preferred.
- The position holder must be results oriented and team a player.
- Deep knowledge of World Vision International working systems, policies and standards will be an advantage
- Must be a member of their professional body and licensed to practise
- Effective in written and verbal communication in English;
- Excellent project management skills and a good understanding of the project life cycle – PMD Pro
- Experience with development project management tools such as logical frames, monitoring and evaluation tools and budgets.
- Experience in supervision skills, including training, mentoring and supporting staff
- Training or certification in Portfolio and/or Program Management with accredited institutions.
- Ability to engage at a strategic level with senior government, UN and INGO officials.
- Ability to lead a multi-cultural team with an empowering and outcome oriented approach.
- Strong budgetary and financial management skills.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- The person must be results oriented, able to handle public relations, able to satisfy donors and a team player.
- Good interpersonal, organizational and management skills.
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, stressful environments and physical hardship conditions with limited resources.
- Ability to work on a cross-cultural environment with a multi-national staff.
- Ability to solve complex problems and to exercise independent judgment.
- Computer literate.
- Working experience engaging with Ministry of Health at National and County levels.in
- Strong experience is participation in Sector working groups
- Ability to engage at a strategic level with senior government, UN and INGO official
- Strong budgetary and financial management skills.
- Good interpersonal, organizational and management skills
How To Apply