Principal Engineer Job, Current Kenyan Engineering Vacancies 2022,
As a member of Energy Consulting, the successful candidate will lead and actively contribute to GE business initiatives related to power systems and power electronics equipment and services.
Principal Engineer – Power Systems Operations & Planning
Energy Consulting, a part of GE Gas Power, has offices in multiple countries and offers our global clients (external & internal GE) a wide range of solutions across the entire spectrum of power generation, delivery, and utilization. The Power Systems Operations & Planning team focuses on planning, design, and operation of interconnected power systems. We understand the physical characteristics of generation, transmission and distribution equipment and the complex interaction characteristics of their operation as part of a large integrated power grid, an industrial plant, or commercial facility. With new power and renewable technologies on the rise, our team of experts are working with customers and partners across the globe to put vision into reality.
This position is for a Principal Engineer – specialized in Power System Operation, Analysis and Planning.
- Leading and conducting technical analysis related to power electronics and power systems control of renewable generation, battery energy storage systems, large industrial drives and FACTS.
- Identifying scope of studies and modeling efforts required to solve GE and GE customer technical challenges and preparing proposals in collaboration with other technical and commercial contributors.
- Contributing to multiple project teams to perform technical analysis and to mentor and advise other team members. Organizing project teams and guiding the work of individual contributors to the team effort.
- Managing project technical work, cost, and schedule.
- Documenting and presenting project findings and deliverables
- Learning new technologies and adapting team capabilities to meet the needs of the industry and of GE
- Developing technical understanding of electrical characteristics of GE generation and transmission products and their integration to electrical grids
- Initiating, leading and conducting technical marketing activities (i.e., using technical analysis to develop and support market opportunities for power system products and services)
- Enhancing industry knowledge and presenting technical content in customer seminars, regional forums, technical workshops, and professional society conferences
- Actively participating in a global working environment where teamwork, quality, customer service and innovation are prized
- Masters or equivalent degree in Electrical, Systems, Mechanical, or Power Systems Engineering
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in electric power industry
- Demonstrated experience in technical performance analysis of electric power systems with power electronics sources or loads
- Ability to perform engineering analysis and design, and to develop engineering solutions in a team environment, and to provide technical consulting services to customers
- Ability to lead project teams conducting technical analysis and to effectively represent the team to our customers
- Proficiency in key software analytical tools, e.g., PSCAD, PowerFactory, PSS/E, ETAP, ATP, EMTP-RV, PVsyst, MATLAB, Python, PSLF
- Demonstrated ability in mentoring less experienced engineers
- Strong technical and analytical skills, written and oral communication skills
- Willingness to travel (30% is typical)
- PhD degree or Doctorate, in Engineering or other advanced degree with focus on electrical power industry
- Passion for working in an open, sharing, and supportive environment where colleagues welcome opportunities to assist each other with solving challenging technical problems
- Experience in Power systems and Grid studies: HVDC/HVAC/Grid Design, steady state load flow studies, short circuit analysis, transient & dynamic stability analysis, protection coordination and relay settings studies, power quality studies and earthing design.
- Experience using and creating models of complex equipment in transient analysis (ATP, EMTP-RV, PSCAD, etc) and stability (PSSE, PowerFactory etc) simulation tools based on field tests or equipment.
- Experience in coding/scripting in languages such as DPL, DSL, Python, C etc.
- Experience supporting power electronics control development for products connected to bulk utility systems or large industrial systems.
- Familiarity with modeling and simulation requirements globally
- Experience in preparation of complex technical proposals
- Active participation within industry professional societies, such as IEEE or CIGRE
- Strong written and oral communication skills suitable for making presentations to internal and external business customers, and for supporting GE executive external communications, an additional Language (Arabic, French) is preferred.
How to Apply