Finance & Admin Officer Job, NGO Jobs November,
Finance and Administrative Officer – Nairobi
International IDEA is managing a two-year Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs funded programme to support consolidation of democracy and accountable governance in Kenya, and to contribute to SDG 16 to promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
The programme seeks to support consolidation of democracy and accountable governance by supporting institutional capacity strengthening of the Office of the Registrar of Political Parties (ORPP) to discharge its statutory mandate and support the organizational development of political parties in Kenya; enhance mechanisms for accountability and active citizenry in local governance; and expand the knowledge base on the political reforms in Kenya.
The Finance and Administrative Officer provide high level financial and administrative support in accordance with the programme needs and requirements for Kenya Office. Responsible for accounting, payments, bank account management, provide support to office on financial and procurement aspects. Under the supervision of the Programme Manager, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Processes invoices, programme advance requests, programme expenditure reports, utilities, fuel etc. and prepares payment requests accordingly;
- Assists with expenditure control, ensuring adherence to International IDEA policies and procedures and advising team members on possible cost saving measures;
- Prepares and supports the administration and performance management of contracts and agreements for service providers and/or partner organizations in line with International IDEA policies and in collaboration with the Procurement Officer;
- Coordinates and monitors the usage and maintenance of the office equipment and vehicles;
- Prepares monthly expenditure receipts and reports after entering the data into the centralized accounting system;
- Reconciles bank statements and petty cash funds of the office on a monthly basis;
- Produces and regularly updates cash flow forecasts and and ensures sufficient funds are available to meet program commitments;
- Operates and maintains use of computerized accounting systems and spread sheets to assist day to day accounting procedures and with reporting requirements;
- Ensures compliance with donor financial and procurement policies for donor funded projects;
- Conducts risk management in line with International IDEA’s risk management policies and procedures;
- Maintains records for fixed assets and updates them on a quarterly basis;
- Liaises withe Ministry of Foreign Affairs, DHL, UPS and other providers to facilitate the import of items, as required;
- Clarifies financial information and requirements with diplomacy and clarity to team members and partners;
- Requires good knowledge, excellent skills and initial experience in their field;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute as required;
- Can be expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’s Core Values: Respect, Integrity and Professionalism;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Has established skills to perform a range of day-to-day activities.
Operational Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Integrates a results-based approach into his/her activities;
- Understands how the assigned duties relate to others in the team and how the team integrates with others throughout the organization; Uses knowledge of how the team integrates
- with others to accomplish team objectives;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.
- No people management responsibility over permanent staff;
- Acts as a model and resource for more junior colleagues;
- Recognizes and solves typical problems that can occur in own work area; evaluates and selects solutions from established options.
- Impacts the quality, timeliness and effectiveness of the function; uses discretion to modify work practices and processes to achieve results or improve efficiency.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises regularly with all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her projects;
- Acts in all assignments with personal energy and engagement;
- Fluency in written and oral English is required; Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region would be an asset.
- University degree in business, financial management or other relevant discipline;
- Minimum three (3) years of progressive responsibility in supporting Accounting, Finance, Administration and Grant Management functions;
- Full or part professional qualifications in finance and accounting, for example ACCA are considered advantageous;
- Knowledge of award and contract regulations and reporting requirements of EU and/or other major donors advantageous;
- Experience in working in an international context, e.g. in an intergovernmental organization, considered an advantage;
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office package (including MS Work, Excel and PowerPoint) and Internet is required; Knowledge of ERP systems is desirable.
Terms of Contract:
- Local Post
- Remuneration: GROSS Salary 237,139 Kenyan Shillings per month.
- Contract duration: Fixed term appointment until 31 December 2022.
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Kenya.
How to Apply
- International IDEA is collaborating with Action Appointments in this recruitment process. All applications and queries should be directed to email@example.com
- Applications should be submitted no later than 23:59 (CEST) 16 November 2020. Please note that all applications must be made in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.