Search For Jobs Offers in Kenya
FilmAid Kenya (FilmAid) is a development and humanitarian organization that harnesses the power and influence of film, media, and the arts to respond to displaced communities in need as well as promote social change. Using a participatory community-based approach, FilmAid provides displaced people with actionable information about their rights, their safety, their health, and their future. Using compelling video, radio, print, SMS, and digital media campaigns, FilmAid reaches over 400,000 people every year. Additionally, FilmAid’s 12-month Media training courses empower the next generation of storytellers with the skills they need to advocate for themselves, their community, and their right to a future filled with Hope. We believe that it is only by leveraging the talent and tenacity of refugee communities themselves that FilmAid can Project Hope, and Change Lives.
The Grants Officer is responsible for the strategic oversight of FilmAid Kenya’s grants through adherence to all donor requirements, staff training and supporting the development of new grants, including liaison between the country office and location offices (Dadaab and Kakuma).
Working closely with the Programmes Director, the Grant Officer is expected to manage existing grants and assist in the application for new opportunities.
Key Performance Indicators:
● Monthly grant cash forecasts against work plans in collaboration with the Programmes Director and done and submitted to the Country Director
● Petty cash requests reviewed against project needs before approval and disbursement
● Purchase requisitions reviewed against approved grants before procurement
● All grant reports verified against all grant terms and conditions and ensure due compliance through their accuracy, reasonability and completeness.
● Monthly grant reports generated and discussed with the Finance Manager, Field Manager / budget holders, Programmes Director and Country Director and recommendations followed up for actioning
● Budgets to support grant applications generated in collaboration with the Programmes Director.
● All recommendations arising out of external audits, donor reviews and other inspections related to financial / administrative operation of grants are implemented within the timelines indicated in the management responses.
● All commitments made to creditors/suppliers/vendors aligned to grants are met as per the LPO and/or contract agreements.
The Grant Officer fulfils the following functions;
In close collaboration with the Programmes Director, Field Managers, Country Director and Finance Manager;
● Lead and manage the financial and administrative function of grants and contracts to ensure FAK’s compliance with requirements, procedures and policies while providing appropriate guidance and oversight.
● Manage the financial oversight of the successful implementation of all grants ensuring donor compliance, contractual requirements and accurate and quality reporting of the projects’ financial activities and position.
● Manage internal financial tracking of all grants and support Programmes Director to ensure work plans are integrated with financial grant management, including close liaison with field offices.
● Supervise and support post-award administration including negotiation of terms and conditions of sub-agreements, sub-grants and subcontractors, obtaining donor approvals when required and managing award administrative closeout of awards.
● Continuously support the improvement of financial management including grants and frameworks and how FAK’s administrative systems are set up to support these.
● Ensure that systems are in place to maintain accurate records and effective and timely reporting of financial performance of sub-grantees and sub-contractors.
● Play a key role in the development and implementation of best practices for the grants, contractors and procurement functions.
● Understand and integrate the donor financial reporting requirements.
● Work with SMT and the Finance Manager in ensuring cost share applicability and compliance with donor cost share regulations.
● Take the lead in all donor financial verification processes.
● Provide regular reports to the SMT on progress of grants and identify areas of concern.
2. Budgeting and Grant Development
● Work closely with the Finance Manager to develop annual and periodic FAK budgets, monitor them on a monthly basis, and report on it at the end of each financial year.
● Assist Senior Management Team and Country Director in the development of grant proposals including integration of FAK’s existing organizational strategy and vision.
● Provide expertise in financial aspects of new grant development.
3. Organizational Development
● Develop and conduct compliance training on new and emerging donor issues, policies and procedures for newly hired or existing employees.
● Work closely with Finance Teams to ensure donor and grant compliance.
● Create internal procedures and documentation to ensure best practice in financial management of grants including targeted training for field programmes staff.
● Work closely with the Finance Manager to develop /update policies, procedures, templates and manuals.
● Submit a final report with proposals for;
Qualifications and Experience
● Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Commerce or Finance.
● Recognized Certificate of Professional qualification in Accounting (ACCA, CPA)
● At least 3 years experience in accounting or finance preferable with an international development/humanitarian aid organization.
● Commensurate education and years of experience.
● Proven experience in grant management, preferably with major international donors.
Skills and Competencies
● Financial planning, financial management skills and accounting and budget principles.
● Budgeting and budgetary control.
● Ability to develop internal financial tools that match external grants.
● Knowledge of best practice grant management approaches.
● Understanding of organizational objectives and how that relates to finance and grant management.
● Proficiency in MS Word, Excel
● Proficiency in Quick Books
Enter your email address below to subscribe to our newsletter