VSF Germany is an international Non-Governmental Organization, providing humanitarian aid and development assistance to pastoralists and vulnerable communities in areas where livestock is of importance. In the region, VSF Germany implements activities in South Sudan, Sudan, Kenya, Somalia, Uganda and Ethiopia.
With support in animal health, agriculture, marketing, food safety but also with developing the capacity of communities and governmental institutions or initiating peace and conflict resolution we work towards food security and strengthened livelihoods of pastoralist communities.
VSF Germany would like to recruit a Field Veterinary Officer for a periof of 3 months to support the projects in Turkana County. The Officer will be based in Lodwar with travel to the project implementation areas in Turkana.
To effectively implement and supervise Animal Health related component of all VSF Germany programs in Turkana County. Represent VSF Germany and participate in Animal Health sector working group and other related coordination meetings with partners.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Engages primarily in the implementation of Animal Health activities in VFS-Germany Projects in Turkana County.
- Engage with County and Sub-County Veterinary Technical personnel and other stakeholders in design and implementation of livestock disease surveillance, treatments and vaccination campaigns.
- Give technical guidance in procurement of veterinary inputs (drugs, equipment and services) to ensure required quality of livestock service delivery
- Directly supervise livestock treatment and vaccination component of the VSF-Germany’s projects and ensure proper documentation of the same for reference and analysis.
- Keep an up to date database of all animal health activities carried out by VSF-Germany and stakeholders.
- Provides technical assistance and support to other team members of the projects.
- Makes sure that project activities are performed in line with the work plan;
- Ensure that summary of community meetings, seminars or workshops facilitated and/or attended by project staff is well documented and shared with relevant stakeholders.
- Together with the Project Manager, compiles activity specific reports for all animal health activities in accordance to donor and the organization guidelines.
- Together with the Project Manager, properly document the achievements and lessons learnt from the Animal Health activities and share with relevant stakeholders.
- In consultation with the Project Manager, liaise with relevant government counterparts, NGO and CBO partners with the objective of effective implementation of the livestock related activities.
- Establish an effective working relationship with government, non-governmental and community based organizations.
- Work cordially with local partners, authorities and leaders in reaching the beneficiaries.
- Keeps herself/himself updated about recent developments in assigned technical area and related issues;
- Facilitate trainings, workshops, experience sharing visits, etc, that are related to the needs of target beneficiaries, especially Community Disease Reporters.
- In liaison with project Manger develop budget and forecast for animal health activities in the projects.
- At least a Degree in Veterinary Medicine from recognized University.
- Up to date registration with Kenya Veterinary Board is mandatory.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in working in Veterinary Sector.
- At least 3 years’ experience of work with the NGOs especially in ASAL areas
- Knowledge and experience of working on pastoral livelihoods will be added advantage.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English language is a must.
- Computer literacy in MS – Word, Excel and Power Point confers advantage.
- Good concept and report writing
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.