Finn Church Aid – Action for Human Dignity Finn Church Aid (FCA) is the largest Finnish development cooperation organization and the second largest provider of humanitarian assistance. We operate in 15 countries, where the needs are most dire. We work with the poorest people, regardless of their religious beliefs, ethnic background or political convictions.
Finn Church Aid Kenya is looking for a
WASH Project Engineer – 1 Position
Duty Station: Nairobi, Garissa & Mombasa
To provide professional quality control and quantity supervision of FCA construction projects in Garissa, Nairobi and Mombasa. The officer will periodically assist in preparing tender documents for construction works including technical drawings, specifications of works, Bills of Quantities and conditions of contracts.Ensure timely completion of project activities as directed.
- Assist in collection of data pertaining to WASH needs in the project counties.
- Ensure periodic construction site supervision.
- Ensure that the contractor maintains available at site at all time the following documentation:
- An updated timetable on a bar chart format
- A site logbook for instruction to the contractor
- Requests for work approval
- Accident and incident reports
- Test certificates as they are issued
- A site diary
- Review the Contractors’ work plan and request for revision to ensure timely completion of the works.
- Propose to FCA/UNICEF measures to be taken if the work progress is behind schedule.
- Ensure testing and quality control of the works according to Kenyan Standards
- Check measurements and recommend payment with relevant documentary evidence within the time frame to be agreed.
- Organize monthly construction site management meetings, write the minutes of the meeting and send the minutes of the meeting to the contractor and to FCA on last day of the month.
- Write and submit to FCA Monthly Project Reports including narrative, financial and photographic reporting, which can be combined with site management meeting minutes.
- Attend project review meeting with FCA donors when required.
- Critically examine claims/request of contractor for time extensions, extra compensation for works or expenses and other matters.
- Analyze certify Variation Orders (VO) and submit them with estimate cost to FCA for approval no matter how small the value. Once approved ensure that VO’s are finalized within two weeks.
- Advise FCA on any potential risks to the respect of the project timeline, project budget and quality of the works.
- Ensure that appropriate safety measures are taken on site to minimize the risk of accident to the workers and the public.
- Advise the contractor on measures to be taken to ensure proper storage and security of its material and equipment.
- Inform FCA of the tentative date for Substantial Completion of the works at least 15 days in advance.
- Organize testing of all the systems installed and provide FCA with test certificates including: Electrical system certificate by a Chartered Electrical engineer, Plumbing system testing, Lightening Protection System and any other documents as needed.
- Assist FCA in issuing the practical completion certificates
- Provide, to the contractor a defect list upon substantial completion of the works.
- Ensure that all defects are fixed by the contractor within 30 days from the date of issue of the Substantial Completion Certificate.
- FCA with a final project narrative, financial and photographic report within 30 days of from the date of issue of the Substantial Completion Certificate
- Review guarantees and hand over all related documents to FCA within e.g. 30 days of Substantial Completion of the works.
- Prepare a maintenance manual of services and plans and submit it to the local authorities and beneficiaries the day of the handover/inauguration Ceremony.
- During the Defect Liability period intervene as required and liaise with the contractor to fix in a timely manner any problem that arises and that are covered under the defect liability guarantee.
- Degree / Higher Diploma in Structural/Civil Engineering and any other relevant education.
- WASH in schools background is highly desirable.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in Project management, supervising construction sites, and community work in rural areas.
- Experience with other computer programs such as Proficiency in MS Office software (especially Word and Excel) and AutoCAD is essential, SAP 2000 and Microsoft Project would be an advantage.
- Previous work experience in Refugee operations and implementing donor-funded projects is an added advantage.
- Ability to work independently in a result-oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment
- Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills.
How to Apply
All qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to send a completed Application Letter and Curriculum Vitae to: [email protected] stating the vacancy job title in the subject line.
Deadline for receiving applications is 8th September 2021
FCA will only contact short-listed applicants.
FCA is an equal opportunity employer, irrespective of gender, race or religious affiliation. FCA is a signatory to the Code of Conduct for humanitarian agencies. Attempts to influence recruitment procedures through phone calls, emails or inducements of any kind will lead to disqualifications