JOB TITLE: Farm Technician
JOB TYPE: Full-Time
Are you passionate about agriculture? Are you result-oriented and self-driven? Would you like to be involved in establishment of a demonstration farm with crops and livestock? Then probably you are the right person we are looking for.
Sustainable Agricultural Information Initiative (SAII) is a regional Not for Profit development organization with over 10 years of experience in delivering agricultural development and resilience-building interventions focused on value chain development in the ASAL and other counties of Kenya. The NGO is concerned with the promotion of sustainable agricultural practices to eradicate hunger and extreme poverty by implementing climate smart, innovative, enterprising and sustainable interventions that contribute to mainstreaming good agricultural practices and market-oriented approaches, generating and diversifying household incomes among smallholder farmers and enterprising youth & women enterprises, thereby contributing to the long-term agenda of ensuring a food secure and a healthy nation.
- Record data pertaining to experimentation, research, and animal care.
- Collect samples from crops or animals so testing can be performed.
- Prepare data summaries, reports, and analyses that include results, charts, and graphs in order to document research findings and results.
- Provide food and water to livestock and record details of their food consumption.
- Plant seeds in specified areas and count the resulting plants in order to determine the percentage crop success.
- Supervise pest or weed control operations including locating and identifying pests or weeds, selecting chemicals and application methods, scheduling application, and training operators.
- Measure and mark plot areas; and plow, disc, level, and otherwise prepare land for cultivated crops.
- Conduct insect and plant disease surveys.
- Examine livestock in order to determine the presence of diseases or other problems.
- Perform general nursery duties such as propagating standard varieties of plant materials, collecting and germinating seeds, maintaining cuttings of plants, and controlling environmental conditions.
- Operate farm machinery including plows, mowers, combines, balers, sprayers.
- Perform crop production duties such as tilling, hoeing, pruning, weeding, and harvesting crops.
- Provide routine animal care such as taking and recording body measurements, applying identification, and assisting in the birthing process.
- Prepare and present agricultural demonstrations during trainings.
- Respond to inquiries and requests from the public that do not require specialized scientific knowledge or expertise.
Farm Technician Requirements:
- Diploma in Veterinary Medicine, Agronomy, General Agriculture from a university/ College recognized in Kenya; or equivalent.
- 5 years extensive experience.
- A passion for agriculture.
- Excellent farm technical skills.
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical, and critical thinking skills.
- The ability to make decisions in stressful environments.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to work overtime as required.
How to Apply
Candidates who meet the requirements should send their CV and a cover letter motivating their interest in the position, detailing current and expected salary and Skype and mobile contacts by COB (28th December 2020) and follow the application instructions on the site.
Please use this link to access the job profile:
Sustainable Agricultural Information Initiative (SAII), is an equal opportunity employer and only shortlisted candidates, whose CVs are received into our database will be contacted