Administrative Assistant Job At FAO
Under the overall and direct supervision and guidance of the FAO Representative, the Executive Assistant coordinates overall office support activities of the FAOR.
The Executive Assistant works with wide latitude for independent action and often handles complex and sensitive matters.
Duties for the Administrative Assistant Job
- Provide and coordinate communication, information, documentation, administrative and protocol support processes for the FAO Representative.
- Undertake complex research from various sources; select relevant information and prepare briefs and summary notes in concise format.
- Draft and format reports, presentations, publications, and other documentation material for the FAO Representative and the country office.
- Maintain control of records and files; follow-up on deadlines to supervisors and officers for their action; update the office’s management information system including spreadsheets, files, databases; provide Registry with master files containing key documents.
- Responsible for the overall protocol liaison activities with the Host Government and works closely with FAO’s Programme Coordination unit to support both.
- Maintain records on administrative and office support policies, procedures and practices and provide guidance as to their use to subordinate staff.
- Supervise the organization of meetings and events held in the country, including the provision of meeting facilities, equipment, catering, making travel arrangements, coordinating logistics, preparing correspondence and assembling documents for participants
- Receive, screen, file, distribute, draft, format, and monitor incoming and outgoing correspondence and documentation from and to the FAO Representative and the country office; select and abstract pertinent material for supervisor’s review; identify complex or sensitive material for special treatment; review outgoing correspondence and documentation for correct format, grammar, spelling and conformance with FAO and country policies and procedures; attach necessary background information; maintain a follow-up system.
- Manage the calendars of the FAO Representative and Assistant Representatives; schedule appointments; brief the supervisor/s on matters before meetings and missions.
- Carry out administrative functions to support the activities of the FAO Representative including making travel and schedule arrangements.
- Take minutes at internal and/or official meetings, track actions and circulate related correspondence among relevant parties.
- Brief and train secretarial support staff regarding all aspects of the job, ensuring adherence to procedures, guidelines and work requirements; ensure accuracy of the work provided.
- Screen and place calls; respond to telephone, e-mail and personal enquiries; refer non-recurring matters and difficult issues to respective units.
- Prepares informal translations and acts as interpreter where applicable.
Perform other related duties as required.
Administrative Assistant Job Requirements
- University degree in business administration or in a related development field.
- Five years of administrative / operations experience and previous experience as an Executive Assistant/ Team Assistant is essential.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and good decision making skills is essential.
- Good communication and writing skills.
- Good working knowledge of the UN work systems and at previous work experience with the UN is desirable.
- Working knowledge (level C) of the FAO official language used for communication within the country (English).
- Ability to effectively use standard office software such as MS Office (Windows, Word, Outlook, Excel, Exchange) etc.
- Ability to use software and other information systems and databases to insert data, make enquiries, retrieve/define ad hoc reports and analyses and edit results in appropriate format.
- Familiarity with and a supportive attitude towards processes of strengthening partner organization capacities for self-management.
- Systematic and efficient approach to work assignments, good judgment and analytical ability. Ability to manipulate large data sets.
- Excellent attention to details.
- Basic understanding of FAO Procedures.
Interpersonal Communications and Teamwork Skills:
The incumbent must possess teamwork spirit, flexibility and ability to undertake regular field visits. Tact and courtesy. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural background.
How to Apply
Candidates are requested to submit a covering letter quoting the Position Title and Vacancy Announcement No. FAO/06/2017 along with their current/detailed Curriculum Vitae and FAO Personal Profile Form (PPF) available http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/.
E-mail is the preferred means of receipt and the application should be sent to [email protected]
Applications must be received by the deadline. Late applications will not be considered.
Only short listed candidates meeting all essential qualifications will be contacted.
N.B: Looking For A New Job? Find Your Next Job With Us. Click Here To Register Your CV. It’s Free.