Assistant Manager Sewerage and Environment Job, Current Administration Vacancies 2022,
Job Title: Assistant Manager Sewerage and Environment
Grade: EPZA 4
Ministry /Corporation: Export Processing Zone – Authority
Directorate: Commercial and Technical Services
Department: Water and Sewerage
Section / Unit: Sewerage and Environment
Location / Work station: EPZA Headquarters, Viwanda Road
Reports to: Manager, Water and Sewerage
Direct reports: Principal Environment Officer
Indirect reports: Senior Environment Officer
The job holder is responsible for the development, review and implementation of the relevant policies, strategies, programs and regulations of environmental and health laws as they pertain to ground water, soil, wastewater, sewerage, air, human health and industrial related facilities to support the Authority’s strategic objectives and enhance individual and Authority’s performance.
Key Responsibilities / Duties / Tasks
Managerial / Supervisory Responsibilities
- In charge of implementation and enforcement of the Environmental Management and Coordination Act, 1999; Public Health Act and Occupational Health and Safety Act, 2007 (including other National, Regional and International legal requirements) in public and private Export Processing Zones.
- In charge of implementing and enforcing compliance with relevant legal requirements and regulations (standard specifications) pertaining to potable water, wastewater and air quality in addition to prevention of environmental pollution
- Supervision and training the staff working in areas related to waste, water quality, environmental protection, conservation and public health management.
Operational Responsibilities / Tasks
- Direct the evaluation of environmental quality standard violations and the development of pollution control strategies to attain compliance with those standards.
- In charge of management and control of wastes (that includes liquid, solid, emissions of flue gasses and air particulate matters) in the Export Processing Zones and enterprises.
- Authorizes laboratory methods and analysis carried out by EPZA Laboratories in liaison with other third party statutory or private accredited laboratories in areas of wastewater, water, emissions, and health and food analysis parameters.
- Liaise with all relevant statutory, public and private agents in environmental, water, forestry, occupational health safety, public health including Government Ministries, State Corporations, and Municipalities among others in matters on sustainable development, environmental and public health quality management.
- Participate in authorization of installations and handling of waste, wastewater treatment, air emissions equipment and plants within the EPZ’s in liaison with the investor, technology provider and relevant statutory lead agencies.
- Directs investigations and site inspections to determine environmental quality impacts of proposed new sources of pollution, and proposed land use activities.
- Gather and assimilate technical information for the preparation of reports assessing the economic, social, and environmental impacts of proposed pollution control strategies and the Authority’s requirements.
- Attend and conducts public hearings and meetings to discuss pollution and environmental quality issues and licenses or permits applications.
- Direct investigation and site inspections to determine environmental quality impacts of proposed new sources of pollution, and proposed land use including new and old development activities.
- Manages the EPZA Wastewater Treatment System (Connections, Conveyance, Treatment and Disposal of Effluent to the Natural Environment).
- Development of Budgets for Sewerage and Environment section
- Payments of statutory payments to NEMA, WRMA and other government Agencies
- Recommend payment for procurements and casual labour
Responsibility for Physical Assets
Responsible for physical assets assigned by the institution;
Make decisions using standard operating procedures
Work predominantly outside the office
Job Competencies (Knowledge, Experience and Attributes / Skills).
- Masters Degree in Physical Sciences, Biological Sciences, Environmental Health or relevant degree from a recognized Institution;
- Bachelors degree in physical sciences, Biological Sciences, Resource management, Sanitary Sciences, Environmental Health, Environmental Engineering, Waste Water Management or any other relevant degree from a recognized Institution
Professional Qualifications / Membership to professional bodies
- Registered Environmental Impact Assessment and Audit lead Expert by a national environmental protection Agency e.g. NEMA;
- Membership to Environmental Management Institute of Kenya ;
- Attended Management course lasting not less than 4 weeks from a recognized Institution;
- Certificate in Computer Proficiency and
- Meets the provision of Chapter Six of the Constitution
Previous relevant work experience required.
Have nine (9) Years relevant experience with three (3) years as a Principal Environmental Officer or equivalent position in the Public Service or reputable organization;
a) Knowledge of state pollution control regulations.
b) Principles and practices of physical or biological
sciences, sanitary science, environmental health.
c) Operation and design of pollution control sources and
pollution control equipment
d) Operation and design of water and wastewater
treatment plants and their operation units.
e) Method and techniques of collecting and analyzing
f) Field &laboratory research methods in determining
general water, wastewater, air, environmental
and/or natural resource conditions.
g) Computer literacy
h) Analytical skills
i) Report writing skills
a) Leadership skills
b) Interpersonal skills
How to Apply
Suitably qualified candidates should apply in confidence clearly indicating the job Reference Number on the Job Application form. The Job Application form can be downloaded by Clicking Here
Candidates should also attach a detailed curriculum vitae, copies of academic and professional certificates, testimonials, and national identity card
The applications should be sent to [email protected] addressed to:
Ag.Chief Executive Officer,
Export Processing Zones Authority,
Administration Building, Viwanda Road, Off Nairobi-Namanga Road, Athi River,
P.O Box 50563-00200, NAIROBI.
Successful candidates will be expected to fulfill the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution by providing originals of
the following documents:
1. Police Clearance Certificate from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations
2. Clearance/Compliance Certificate from Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
3. Tax Compliance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority
4. Clearance from Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC)
5. Clearance from recognized Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
All applications should be sent online in PDF format to be received not later than Monday,2nd January 2023,Mid Night East Africa Time.
Export Processing Zones Authority is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and gender equality. Women and persons with disability are encouraged to apply. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.