The purpose of the position is to coordinate the dairy farming extension services to the smallholder dairy farmers in the project areas by supporting the extension nodes towards the achievement of the project outputs and goals.
The goal of the project is to contribute to the knowledge and on-farm practice in the creation and implementation of innovative climate smart and efficient production systems through the introduction of forage-based animal genetics and application and the use of novel climate smart forage feeding systems on-farm. Specifically, the project seeks to; develop and demonstrate new improved systems of production (forage based) which can meet 90%+ of the animal’s dietary requirement, and to develop an Innovation Hub in support of the dairy value chain with a particular focus on innovation support on-farm and which can build capacity in forage-based production technology.
The Project Officer who will be based at Kuresoi South (Keringent) sub-County of Nakuru County, will be responsible for coordination of project activities around the project beneficiaries institutions (mainly cooperatives) leading in identification of beneficiaries needs, work planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of all the project activities.
Program Management & Implementation at County Level
- Provide support and coordination to the cooperatives and government extension staff in delivery of livestock extension services to the smallholder dairy farmers.
- Prepare monthly activity plans and budgets to support the extension work
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports on the project implementation activities
- Provide appropriate and timely updates to the Programme Manager on project implementation.
- Follow all SHA safety and security guidelines and ensure that all safety or security incidents (fires, accidents, theft, etc.) are recorded and reported.
- Ensure efficient use and management of project resources including Motorbikes.
- Work as the key program point person with the direct beneficiaries– through the cooperatives
- Develop mechanisms to foster strategic partnerships with external partners institutions such as Government, private sector, NGO’s
- Work closely with Government institutions at the county level to offer complementary support to the smallholder farmers
- Maintain regular coordination and strategic engagement with the project cooperatives
Knowledge & Capacity Development
- Identify key needs of the direct beneficiaries, design and implement capacity development activities to address the identified needs
- Facilitate and coordinate relevant technical support to the cooperatives staff and lead farmers
- Take lead in capacity building activities for the smallholder farmers such as farmer trainings, field days and farmer exchange visits and discussions within the nodes/cooperative level.
- Provide technical guidance and support in the establishment of forage demo plots amongst the lead farmers and promote replication of the same by the farmers
- Provide technical support to dairy farmer groups to prepare and implement efficient feeding and breeding plans.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Develop and document good practices and lessons learnt on dairy extension to smallholder dairy farmers within the nodes.
- Participate in Result Based monitoring for the program in liaison with Project Manager and M & E team
- Develop and regularly update a database for all the farmers trained on dairy production and productivity improvement
- Undertake monthly monitoring of the farmer training and their effectiveness together with group performance and submit a report on the same every month
- Promoting community-led participatory monitoring of dairy farming activities.
- Undertake Performance Evaluation of the various forages
- Any other duties as assigned by the Project Manager
- Head of Programmes
- Project Coordinators
- M & E Coordinator
- Relevant county government departments – Agriculture & Livestock, Cooperative, Nutrition, Social Services, etc
- Implementing organisations – Nodes/Cooperatives
- Other implementation partners like KALRO
- Other development organisations/ external stakeholders
Knowledge and Experience:
- Good understanding of Community/farmers’ capacity building.
- Good report writing skills.
- At least 3 years’ experience in a mix of dairy production or Agriculture development
- Experience working with Agribusiness and value chain projects, food security and livelihoods, Community development projects, at a similar level
- Skills in training/facilitation of development processes, including organisation and mobilisation of communities
- Knowledge on networking among different development partners
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in the fields of Animal science, Animal production, Dairy Technology, Veterinary medicine from a recognised university
- Proficiency in computer packages especially with Ms Word, Outlook and Excel and other related packages.