Corporation Secretary & Manager Legal Services Job, Latest Legal Jobs,
LVSWWDA 3: REF:-LVS/HR/CSL/5/2020,
The position is responsible functionally to the Board of Directors and administratively to the Chief Executive Officer for the following:
- Providing guidance to the Board on their duties and responsibilities and on matters of governance.
- Assisting the Board in carrying out Board induction and training; updating the Board and Committee Charters; preparation of Board Work Plans; Board evaluation; governance audit; and implementation of the Code of Conduct and Ethics.
- Facilitating the development, updating and application of the Board of Directors governance instruments.
- Safe custody of the seal of the Agency and accounting to the Board for its use.
- Maintaining and updating the register of conflicts of interest.
- Ensuring that Board members are aware of all relevant laws affecting the organization.
- Facilitating effective communication between the organization and the shareholder.
- Promptly filing annual returns with relevant authorities.
- Circulating Board and Committee papers in advance of any meeting, except in exceptional circumstances.
- Maintaining and storing of the records of the Board and its Committees.
- Coordinating the development of the draft performance targets for the Board of Director, being contracted and evaluated annually.
- Developing performance targets for Corporation secretary, being contracted and evaluated annually.
- Any other responsibilities assigned by the Board of Directors or the Chief Executive Officer.
In addition, the position is responsible to the Chief Executive Officer for the following:
- Establishing and managing Legal Registry.
- Providing advice on and interpreting all policies, information, events, matters, questions and issues that have legal implications on the Agency.
- Reviewing and providing legal opinion and guidance on draft memoranda, contracts and other instruments that bind the Agency.
- Ensuring all statutory obligations of the Agency and its officers are brought to the attention of the Chief Executive Officer and other relevant officials.
- Safeguarding the Agency’s interests in court proceedings as well as in other disputes and engagements.
- Registration and safe custody of instruments for the Agency’s properties and assets, including concessions and acquisitions.
- Organizing and coordinating the facilitation and timely production of Agency’s witnesses and evidence in court.
- Formulation and implementation of policies, strategies and interventions that minimize the Agency’s legal exposure and costs.
- Defining Agency’s requirements as well as service levels and ensuring sound management of contracts for outsourced governance audit and legal services.
- Facilitating speedy resolution of disputes that have legal implications.
- Legal drafting of the Agency’s instruments including codes, cooperative frameworks, deeds of handover, agreements, memoranda, regulations and guidelines.
- Establishing and managing the system for Alternative Dispute Resolution for the Agency.
- Providing legal guidance on joint ventures and public-private partnership initiatives.
- Carrying out annual legal risk assessment of the Agency and defining mitigation measures in consultation with other heads of functional units.
- Conducting legal due diligence on third parties when required.
- Preparation of draft annual work plans, budgets and performance targets for corporation secretarial and legal services.
- Formulation of policies, strategies and procedures for improved delivery of corporation secretarial and legal services.
- Preparation of periodic reports on corporation secretarial and legal services.
- Provision of leadership and guidance to the Corporation secretarial and legal services teams.
- Prudent, transparent and accountable management of resources allocated for corporation secretarial and legal services.
- Establishment, maintenance and enhancement of productive internal and external stakeholder linkages and engagement in execution of corporation secretarial and legal services.
- Developing performance targets for legal services, being contracted and evaluated annually.
To effectively perform the outlined duties, the Agency seeks to recruit a candidate with the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law or equivalent from a recognized university.
- Master’s Degree in Law or Business Administration or Project Management or Environment or Social Sciences or equivalent from a recognized university is an added advantage.
- Post graduate diploma in law from Kenya School of Law or its equivalent.
- Being a Certified Public Secretary of Kenya is an added advantage.
- Attended a management or leadership course lasting at least four weeks.
- Be a member of a professional body in good standing.
- Be a licensed professional.
- At least six years of relevant experience in practicing law and related activities.
- Two years of relevant experience in provision of corporation secretarial services and/or in an organization with equivalent mandate and scope of responsibilities.
- Demonstrable negotiation, communication, networking, technical, analytical, strategic thinking, proposal writing, mentoring, coaching, problem solving, presentation and team leadership skills.
- Track record of achievement of set performance targets.
- Meet requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution.
How To Apply
Applicants should submit applications, indicating the position applied for, in both hard and soft copy, including copies of academic and professional certificates, testimonials and Curriculum Vitae, including details such as current position, remuneration and three (3) referees on or before 14th December 2020 to the following address:
Terms of engagement for each of the above positions will be as per the Agency’s Human Resource Policy.
Chief Executive Officer,
Lake Victoria South Water Works Development Agency,
Lavictors House Off-Ring Road Milimani,
P.O. Box 3325, KISUMU.
LVSWWDA is an equal opportunity employer: Persons with disability, women and minority groups are encouraged to apply. We are committed to the eradication of all forms of corruption in the Agency.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Any form of canvassing whether directly or through third parties is discouraged as it will lead to automatic disqualification of the applicant.