The African Agricultural Technology Foundation (AATF) is an international not-for-profit organisation that facilitates and promotes public/private partnerships to promote food security and enhance livelihoods of smallholder farmers in SSA*. AATF* works with African governments, private and public technology owners and developers, NGOs, seed companies and other value chain players and African farmers to identify and access technologies that address farmers’ key problems and empower them through availability of a choice of agricultural innovations that generate wealth and health for their families and communities. AATF is a registered charity under the laws of England and Wales and has host country status with the Government of Kenya as well as an office in Nigeria.
According to our HR policy, salary survey may only be carried out after every 5 years. It is AATF’s desire to aligning the staff compensation package of AATF with comparable work in the local labor market in Kenya.
The survey requested is to make a consistent approach in the pay levels for AATF staff with comparable work and pay levels in the local labor market and to propose a more consistent and structured approach a salary scale that will ensure staff are motivated, career progression and competitiveness with the local market.
Purpose of the Assignment
- To make a survey in the Nairobi labour market and to define the list of organizations that could be considered as comparators for the AATF Salary Survey. The final approval of the list of comparators will be made by AATF.
- To collect information, using survey questionnaire template, from such employers that are agreed by AATF to be surveyed.
- To review the value of various allowances and benefits found in the market from such employers.
- To conduct survey interviews benchmark matching jobs across the various levels of responsibility. This benchmarking exercise should consider the job in the context of overall structure of organization, scope and depth of responsibilities, experience, training requirements and qualifications for that particular job.
- To develop programme and tools for analyzing the data from participants and examine the utility of scale from competitive market position perspective.
- To make recommendations on the salary scales in regard to market position and establish the remuneration. The final remuneration scales should be discussed with AATF and integrated into agreed broad bands
- To do matching process between actual AATF salaries/positions and new remuneration scale consisting of:
- Aggregate TOR data to the band level
- Smooth the raw band data to provide for an internally consistent yet market influenced progression between bands
- Set the minimum/maximum span of remuneration for each band.
- Recommend career progression options for AATF staff
- To provide job evaluation guidelines
- To prepare report (for internal AATF and report that will be shared with comparators in confidential manner)
Scope and target countries
- This assignment will focus on in Kenya with a concentration of labour market in Nairobi. The final approval of the list of Comparators shall be made by AATF.
- The complete assignment, including all preparatory phase and required fieldwork will be delivered to AATF no later than 45 days upon contract award.
- Recommendation and approval of list of comparators
- Prompt payment of completed work with acceptable standards and contract terms
- Provision of policies and any relevant documents needed to carry out the assignment
- Introducing/ linking the consultant to the staff for interviews
- Comments on the draft report and power point presentation
- The consultant will set out estimated timeframe for the various phases and deliverables of the assignment.
- The assignment deliverables will include the following;
- An inception report outlining the methodology to be used
- An internal draft report for AATF review consisting of but not limited to;
- Summary of data collected from the specific organizations showing TOR matches and the valuation of their remuneration package
- A table showing the average of all comparator organizations
- A summary table of organization practices on remuneration
- Suggested salary scale
- Recommendations for career progression options for AATF
- Tool that will allow easy updates of data to be performed by the AATF Administration and Finance Department for carrying out further interim salary surveys
- Power-point presentation of the main findings, conclusion and recommendation suitable for AATF to use in presentation of the assignment results to management and the Board
- Final report for internal AATF considering confidentiality of information from each organization
- A job evaluation guidelines
Contract and reporting
- The consultant will be offered a fixed-price contract that includes all the activities and deliverables listed above.
- Payment under the contract will be output based and with the final payment to be made upon
- satisfactory completion of the assignment.
- During this assignment, the consultant will report and consult directly with the Head of Human Resources on all issues relating to the assignment
Qualification, experience and skills
- Preference will be given to applicants with the following:
- At least a master’s degree, in Human resource or any other related discipline
- Proven track of experience in the area of compensation and benefit for international organizations.**
- Experience dealing with salary survey for international nonprofit organizations**
- Familiar with labor market issues in Kenya and Nigeria.**
- Experience in data collection and analysis for decision making
- Ability to work precisely, clearly, fast and to the point;
- Potential bidders should meet the following criteria:
- Cover Letter: with the name of the consultant/firm, contact details, and brief information on the applicant
- Technical proposal that addresses the following:
- Understanding of the TOR
- Proposed methodology to the assignment
c) Financial Proposal including itemized costs for all elements of the task. Appropriate tax should be included
d) Team profile: describe the qualifications and experience of proposed team and the roles of each team member. Attach Curriculum Vitae of the proposed members showing experience and qualifications;
e) Evidence of previous similar assignment; contact details for referees for a minimum of three clients where the applicant has done similar assignment within the last 3 years
Evaluation and award of the contract
AATF will evaluate the proposals and award the assignment based on application requirement compliance, technical and financial feasibility. The award of the contract and full assignment details will be communicated/provided to the winner.**
Terms and Conditions of the Proposal
AATF reserves the right to request new or additional information regarding each service provider and any individual or other persons associated with its project proposal.
AATF reserves the right not to make any appointment from the proposals submitted. Service providers shall not make available or disclose details pertaining to their Project proposal with anyone not specifically involved, unless authorized to do so by AATF. Service providers shall not issue any press release or other public announcement pertaining to details of their project proposal without the prior written approval.
AATF Service providers are required to declare any conflict of interest they may have in the transaction for which the tender is submitted or any potential conflict of interest. AATF reserves the right not to consider further any proposal where such a conflict of interest exists or where such potential conflict of interest may arise
All data and information received from AATF for the purpose of this assignment are to be treated confidential and are only to be used in connection with the execution of these Terms of Reference. All intellectual property rights arising from the execution of these Terms of Reference are assigned to AATF.